 Castle / 7778
Re: Torso stickers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:19:21 GMT

Umm, good question, Joel. I've been too busy to participate in the thread
but I did read a few posts, and TLC's reaction never even came to mind. Hmm.
That's definitely something to think about, especially the manufacturer, and
especially if the prices will not be at-cost but making a profit.

If somebody *is* planning to make a profit on it, sending TLC a letter or
contacting their attorneys might not be a bad idea.

-Shiri

In lugnet.castle, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:

<snipped>

So the big question is would you guys be interested in getting some of these
sheets?

BTW, Kevin, would you be interested in contributing some of your fantastic
work in exchange for free sheets?

Thanks,

Jimmy

This is a really interesting idea; having read through all of the thread as
it stands right now, I have a few questions/reservations that come to mind(1) --

== Scanning torsos/shields to print out with one's own printer is one thing..
Does anyone know what ramaficiations this is going to have if we all start
scanning what I have to suspect are designs that are encompased by the TLG's
copyrights for the Castle line and then go about charging(2) for them?

== What would the ramafications be for "altering" a TLG design - changing
colors or editing out bits we don't like to make a torso 'better'..?

== There isn't likely to be a problem for original art, because we're just
making sheets of stickers that conform to the shape of torsos and shields,
which isn't any different than the knock-off companies making toys with the
same lug spacing and minifig size, etc.

I can afford a few bucks for a sheet of stickers. I can afford to buy labels
and mire through printing them and cutting them out one at a time on my own.
I can't afford to have TLG knocking on my door because I've gone and done
something bad in their eyes - and I don't think anyone here wants to do this
to upset TLG - only to make Castle a whole lot more fun.

I recall some people over in .pirates have made custom sails. I don't recall
the details precisely, but I believe there was hesitation to charge for
them, because of this very concern.

It's a .great. concept with some potentially serious problems... thoughts?

Joel Jacobsen
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jacobsen/html/Main/lego%20creations.htm

(1) As Todd has often done around here, this is my little disclaimer - I am
not an attorney, nor will I claim to understand all the workings of
Copyright or other applicable bits of law. I just see an aspect of this
discussion that hasn't been brought up to this point and hope to hear input
from someone who does know more about these possible issues.

(2) Charging is a gray area, too. It could viewed as asking /anything/ for
the sheets, or it could just be viewed as profiting from the creation of the
sheets above and beyond cost of production. This is something I haven't an
answer for. I think it probably depends on which side of the fence one
stands on.