Re: OMR Submission and Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:39:57 GMT

On 7/22/99, at 5:45 PM, Tim Courtney wrote:
At 02:57 PM 7/22/99 , Scott R Dennett wrote:
Like Todd said, I think 'OMR SUBMISSION set XXXX' would • probably
do the trick.

But having its own group, even under cad.dat.models.sets, would • save model
editors time by not having to browse headers.  And additional • features
could possibly be integrated into an OMR specific group, like • marking a
message approved or marking it 'being edited.'  It would also • free the
casual set newsgroup lurker from weeding out OMR submissions...

I agree that a whole new newsgroup would be best, but I was just
trying to point out that it would probably work. Not a big deal
either
way as far as I am concerned. I get posts via email so I see all
the
headers anyway.

I would prefer zip over mpd, but the zip program I'm currently
using(FreeZip)
can't do stuff like what would be needed. Are there any other
free zip programs
that work like Microsoft Backup, in that when you back up a
file(s) it also
backs up the directory structure with it?

I use PKZip myself, but Winzip is considered the best (from • what I've
heard).  Both are shareware, and accomplish that task.

Do you have links for either of these. I know I'd be able to
find them
by doing a search, but I'm just too lazy right now. :)

But some people would want a zip file, so its best to offer
both.

Ah, wouldn't you mean mpd instead of zip since we were talking
about
zip, and here you're adding another file type(implied by
sentance type),
but its actually the same file type. Did I lose you??......Good
:)  I know
you get my point. And oh, yes I am in favor of having both types
of files.

<cut 'modified by' over 'by' discussion>

I don't know what the best way to do stickers would be but I
would like
to see it something like sXXXX. We could possibly do it the • same
way
we had talked about doing minifig torsos, in that we have a
certain range
of numbers for different themes.

IMO it should be a little more complex than sXXXX - because 's' • for sticker
could be mistakened for 's' for set.  And the four number • numbering system
could slightly conflict with existing part and set numbering • systems.  If
there could be a sticker numbering format, so certain numbers • mean certain
things, like space, town, etc on one placeholder, subtheme on • the next,
purpose (computer, food, object etc) on the next, etc...

DUH, a little dense tonight I guess :)  Didn't think about 's'
standing for set, and
the four X's were just how many I typed out real fast could have
been more or
less. We can have up to 8 letters/numbers so what about
something like
'stik1234'  We could have it so # 1-1999 are town, 2000-3000 are
space, etc.
I don't know how many stickers have been made so the numbers
above could
vary. Just an idea.

Yes, very good idea. Maybe we could even get people to put a
link on all
of their pages that have Ldrawn/Ldlited/Povrayed models. This • is
asking
a lot, but I know there are many paople who probably would be
willing to
do this. That was actually how I found out about Ldraw.

For the most part people do, but it is a lot to ask, and you • probably won't
get anywhere above 60% compliance on this one.  There is no • legal
requirement to link and there shouldn't be.  Though it is nice, • some people
find off site links annoying....some people want to allow • others to find
out about it.  Its a matter of the personal preference of the • individual
site owner here.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think we should push the issue upon
people,
just encourage it. I realize that maybe only 50% of the Ldraw
users would
do this, but that would be 50% of the pages someone might see
that would
lead them to Ldraw.org  I agree that it can be annoying to have
off-site
links in the middle of the page, but I was thinking more down
near the
bottom, or even at the top, where it really doesn't interfere
with viewing the
page. It's not really a big deal, just an idea that I had since
that was how
I found Ldraw.

Ryan