Re: OMR Submission and Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:33:41 GMT

At 09:10 AM 7/22/99 , John VanZwieten wrote:
1) A Lugnet newsgroup (cad.dat.models.sets or cad.dat.models.omr) will
handle submissions.  A user will post an MPD to the group, and it will also
handle replies to discuss that particular submission.

We might as well use models.sets for this, and just have authors include
"OMR" in the subject header.  This will avoid the confusion
that would come with two sets groups, and avoid having to search multiple
groups to find a specific model.

Though 'OMR' would denote a submission to the OMR, etc, it would be better
to have a separate group so there is absolutely no question what is a
submission and what is not.  All we need is for an editor to pick up a
non-submitted model that he/she desperately wants for the OMR and get the
author to yell at him.  I know it sounds silly, but we don't need flamewars
over a model repository.

2) A model editor will pick the model up and check it against a
model/instructions, and format it to the OMR standard for files.

To the extent possible, the authors should conform to the OMR
standards.  Otherwise this will become a major hassle for editors.

I agree.  I'm in the process of creating an OMR model creation/submission
guide which breaks down the headers and the file naming system, as well as
the submission and OMR rules.

3) He/she can then package it as a zip/tarball (both?) with the proper
directory structure in place (under models/).

If the file is an .MPD, then all the directory structure will be in the
file itself.  Why is a zip/tar file needed for a single .MPD
file?  For downloading lots of them, sure.

Todd was saying this for downloading the individual dats, not an mpd
file.   The dat files could be zipped or tarballed and when extracted would
unzip (untar?) into the proper directory (ie.
models/sets/7140-99/*.dat).  He was suggesting using both MPD and zip/tar -
some people would prefer mpd, the others a zipped file to transfer the load
of dat files.

But submodels which have no moveable parts -- should they be inlined or
included in the MPD?  Pros/cons?

Include them in the .MPD.  That way if someone wants to print instructions
with submodels separated out, they can.

Ok.  So would it be safe to say absolutely no inlining whatsoever?

Also, there is some tension between a model designed to perfectly match
the building instructions, and a model designed for ease of
use.  As I noted for the X-Wing, placing the engine exhaust in the wing
subfile makes it easier to open/close the wings, but makes
the file less like the original instructions.  I could see including two
files for this purpose, but not just to have varying
degrees of accuracy.

I see.  So could there theoretically be two sections - official
instructions and 3d modelling versions?  I'm assuming they should be
included side by side on the same page...

I think the original author should stay in the author name.  If someone
models the supercar and I modify it to include one part
recently voted in, I shouldn't get "credit" for authoring the whole thing.

Good idea.

I think the only time this should happen is when a new submission is a
dramatic improvement over the original.  Otherwise it should
just be considered a modification of the original.

I see...

The revision history could be included in the .dat file:
0 7/20/99 - By: Tim Courtney - Approved for OMR by Ryan Dennett - 85% accurate
0 8/01/99 - Modified By: Jeremy Sproat - Approved for OMR by Kevin Bane -
90% accurate

Probably better to keep it in the model, under the OMR link or under the
author name??

and of course this could be put into a table where things like date,
author, and approved by are in columns.  It could be HTML and done this
way, or done like above in a txt file.

The key is automation here...

How should author discrepancies be handled?  For example, someone submits a
model to the OMR as their own.  It is approved and added.  A while later
someone emails a model editor or myself claiming to be the true author of
the model with proof.  What should be done?  Should the author in violation
lose credibility?  Obviously we should see if the true author would like to
keep the model in the OMR and change the author to him/her.  This is
something that might happen - I have seen people claim others' models as
their own - it could happen on the OMR.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this one.  If it ever happened, I'm
sure we could resolve it with some flame wars on r.t.l.

Yeah.  The thing is we know that someone will submit truckloads of pathetic
models laced with a few good ones he claims as his own.  I believe in that
specific case a nice flamethrower would (temporarily) do the trick ;)

Stickers should be treated as (very thin) parts.  If the sticker hasn't
been officially created, an error comment should be added.

Yeah.  Are there any sticker parts created?  What's the numbering system
for stickers?

The OMR is also a possible tool to get more people using Lego CAD.  I
think on each screen holding an OMR model there should be a
link to an LDraw/LDLite download page.

Good idea.  I will remember that.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com