Re: OMR Submission and Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:44:53 GMT

At 02:57 PM 7/22/99 , Scott R Dennett wrote:
Like Todd said, I think 'OMR SUBMISSION set XXXX' would probably
do the trick.

But having its own group, even under cad.dat.models.sets, would save model
editors time by not having to browse headers.  And additional features
could possibly be integrated into an OMR specific group, like marking a
message approved or marking it 'being edited.'  It would also free the
casual set newsgroup lurker from weeding out OMR submissions...

I would prefer zip over mpd, but the zip program I'm currently
using(FreeZip)
can't do stuff like what would be needed. Are there any other
free zip programs
that work like Microsoft Backup, in that when you back up a
file(s) it also
backs up the directory structure with it?

I use PKZip myself, but Winzip is considered the best (from what I've
heard).  Both are shareware, and accomplish that task.

But some people would want a zip file, so its best to offer both.

I like the idea of using 'modified by' over 'by' in the second
instance because it
isn't giving credit for making the whole model to the person who
most likely
just inserted a couple of pieces to the original auther's work.

Right.

Yeah.  Are there any sticker parts created?  What's the • numbering system
for stickers?

I don't know what the best way to do stickers would be but I
would like
to see it something like sXXXX. We could possibly do it the same
way
we had talked about doing minifig torsos, in that we have a
certain range
of numbers for different themes.

IMO it should be a little more complex than sXXXX - because 's' for sticker
could be mistakened for 's' for set.  And the four number numbering system
could slightly conflict with existing part and set numbering systems.  If
there could be a sticker numbering format, so certain numbers mean certain
things, like space, town, etc on one placeholder, subtheme on the next,
purpose (computer, food, object etc) on the next, etc...

Yes, very good idea. Maybe we could even get people to put a
link on all
of their pages that have Ldrawn/Ldlited/Povrayed models. This is
asking
a lot, but I know there are many paople who probably would be
willing to
do this. That was actually how I found out about Ldraw.

For the most part people do, but it is a lot to ask, and you probably won't
get anywhere above 60% compliance on this one.  There is no legal
requirement to link and there shouldn't be.  Though it is nice, some people
find off site links annoying....some people want to allow others to find
out about it.  Its a matter of the personal preference of the individual
site owner here.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org