Re: OMR Submission and Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:23:57 GMT

Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:4.2.0.58.19990722140519.00a18e80@pop.osiriscomm.com...
At 02:01 PM 7/22/99 , Jeff Stembel wrote:
Include them in the .MPD.  That way if someone wants to print instructions
with submodels separated out, they can.

How about two versions:
1.  Follows exactly the instructions (Only substeps are submodels)

2.  Modelling Version (Only moveable parts are submodels)

Good idea.  So I take it someone who submits a model specifies which it is,
and they also get to choose which version they model.  But what if we have
too much of one type, and want to balance it out?  Should they be required
to do both?

No.  If it's unbalanced, so what?  The main advantages of .dat files of official models will be present for either version:  the
ability to view a model from any angle, an inventory of parts used, and the ability to make renderings of the model.  It's also
quite possible that one file will satisfy both versions.

And the moveable parts are submodels version has to follow the best
possible solution to making the entire part moveable in one angle change...

Yeah, and ideally submodels should be centered on their axis of rotation.

-John Van