 CAD / Development / 358
Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:27:57 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

What if they slip past Terry, not being noted as "mockups" and it takes
someone a long time to notices that they're incorrect?

I'm sure this happens all the time.  A lot of the current LDraw elements
are wrong, in some way.  Some examples, from the top of my head:

- The teeth of the Technic gear cogs are too wide.  In real life, the
   width is 10 LDU, but on the LDraw cogs the width is 12 LDU.

- The outside of the part 6538.DAT Technic Axle Joiner is rotated 45°.
   (On a side note, there does exist a part like the 6538.DAT, but it
   probably doesn't have the number 6538.)

- All parts which include the Technic pin in some way are completely
   wrong; the LDrawn Technic pins don't have the "collar" on the end
   which makes them snap to other elements.

Now, if we were to reject all these parts with errors in them, using
LDRaw would be no fun at all.

Does that imply that carelessness and LDRAW do mix?

Well, no, but one cannot always get a perfect result when modeling a
part.  If I was to apply this rule to the parts I have made, none of
them should have been submitted.  I'm sure the angle of the clips on the
Technic Chain Links on the current voting page aren't exactly correct.
Actually, on the real part, there is a rounded surface, which was
modeled with two straight surfaces.  Here's an illustration:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/3711.gif

If you don't think this carelessness mixes with LDraw, please go ahead
and vote against the part.

Also, the Technic Liftarm 2 x 4 L-Shape is wrong.  The surface between
the holes has a "pointy" shape next to the outer limit of the part, but
on the real element, this is rounded:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/32140.gif

This part was modeled after (or copied from, actually) the 571.DAT,
which has the same error.  571.DAT is probably the origin for the parts
32009.DAT, 32017.DAT and many others.  Which should also rejected,
because they do not fit completely with the real ones.

Fredrik