 CAD / Development / 327
Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:39:30 GMT

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:33:32 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:
"jonathan wilson" <wilsonj@xoommail.com> wrote:
i do not accually own any lego.
i am excusivly ldraw.

!!  Really?
How do you expect to be able to accurately model pieces into LDraw if you
don't have them?
I can understand maybe real simple pieces, but some of the pieces you have
attempted have been of complex forms.  I find it difficult to believe that
you could do a credible job of recreating a complex piece in LDraw without
having the actual piece to guide you.

This makes me seriously question the accuracy of all the parts you have
submitted.

Indeed.

In fact -- and maybe I'm reading too much into this -- but I'm surprised that
there isn't a strict rule against submitting parts that have been modeled
without having them in front of you.  (Mock-ups noted as such being a valid
exception, right?)

Terry:  Is that correct?  Is there not currently a rule against submitting
parts that have not been painstakingly measured from a real element?

No, there is no strict rule.  More of a common sense rule.  But apparantly,
common sense is not always sufficient.
How could I possible enforce such a rule?  And there would always be valid
exceptions to it (see John VanZ's post)

I think you should flat-out reject all parts submitted by people who haven't
measured the dimensions and haven't worked from an actual element.  It's just
wrong to model them without the real element in front of you.

If Jonathan has the energy to model parts, but not the will to purchase them,
then perhaps we can send Jonathan parts via snail mail.  IMHO, no one should
be working blind.

Sending parts to an author could work.  I would have no qualms about sending
pieces to many of the authors.  Because I know and trust them, and I have
confidence in their ability to accurately model a piece.
But before sending any pieces to Jonathan, I would want him to work on his
authoring skills.  He has not shown me that his skill level is up to snuff.

-- Terry K --