 CAD / 1143
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:38:01 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:05:13 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:40:25 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

Typically, parts will be missing from a model either because (a) the
parts aren't made yet (and it's actually problem #2) or the part was
renumbered after the model was created, and it wasn't possible to leave
a forwarding reference in the parts database (in this case, there should
be a bogus part in the model, using the same number).

What happens when a part is move, with a moved_to file, and a model is
loaded and edited? Does the editor save the _new_ part number, or the
old? If you have it automatically saving the _new_ part number, you
could make a ~moved_to file for some time, then next update, you can
replace the ~moved_to with a new part.

The editors I know of (LEdit and LDAO) don't automatically update moved
parts.  But it is a good idea that they should do so.  I'm adding it to
my list of suggestions.

Ideally, you would run each of your models files through this after
every parts update. Actually, either a batch script or a special
program that does this might be better. If you get this set up, you
might even have an update consistying of two parts: the first moves
all old parts, and adds ~moved_to's, then repairs all .dat's. The
second replaces the ~moved_to's with the new parts.

It seems like someone (Lars? Tore? Leo?) wrote a program that would
update the moved parts in all files from ldraw\models.

Doing this automatically as part of a parts update install would be
great.

I don't know if I'm making much sense here. I do know it would
probably be a difficult thing to set up, so I'll shut up now :)

Difficult?  Maybe.  Actually, if self-extracting ARJ files[1] can be
configured to launch another program after extracting, we should be able
to do this fairly easily.

Now, to correctly update models in updates where a new part overwrites
and old part (which is being move at the same time), things get a little
more interesting:

Step 1. Install old part with new number, and a "~moved to" stub file.
Step 2. Run model updater utility.
Step 3. Extract new part over old part's "~moved to" stub file.

This could be done with self-extracting/launching program, but the files
for step 3 would have to be in a sub-archive, which is also
self-extracting.

Steve

[1] I *think* that's the format parts updates use.