 Administrative / Terms of Use / 496
Re: LUGNET Posting Policy Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:44:58 GMT

What follows below is MY OPINION and should not be confused with Official LUGNET Policy.

   Yeah, now that I think about it, I guess that makes sense. But does a Timeout go on one’s “permanent record?” If not, then a 72-hour appeal process wouldn’t be of much use against a 24-hour Timeout. But if a Timeout does remain as a blot on my otherwise meritorious LUGNET record, then I’d be willing to initiate the 72-hour appeal to have it expunged.

I’d say (unofficially) that anything and everything you say and do on Lugnet goes on your permanent record. Dealings between you and the Administration will be recorded and saved (items like emails, etc) either on the Lugnet server, in the email server of the Admin, or in the memory of the Admin. Future decisions will be made considering everything.

If you were to be given a timeout for a flaming post, and then realize you were hot headed at the moment, apologized to the user and the Admins, and then asked the post be canceled (if appropriate)- that would reflect well on you. It would show you as a reasonable person who can sometimes be hot headed (which is nothing out of the ordinary) - that means, someone who is beneficial to Lugnet and not unhealthy to Lugnet.

So basically, unless you are a jerk, then you dont have much to worry about - even if a timeout is given. id say that even repeated timeouts, if the rules are broken in good faith (as in, you’re trying to do your best, but sometimes someone gets too rough and you explode, but you realize the mistake, apologize and honestly try to do better next time) then there isnt much to worry about.

we want everyone to be civil and have fun. if you are uncivil and dont have fun, then be thinking about moving.

-lenny