 Administrative / Terms of Use / 473
Re: LUGNET Posting Policy Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:44:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   LUGNET administration has always had the ability to temporarily or permanently suspend the posting privileges of a user or member. In the past this has been only very rarely used. The mechanism for doing so was such that only Todd (or for a time, Suzanne) could easily do so.

Members of the LUGNET Transition Team, who have been meeting regularly for the last year to discuss various ways of improving LUGNET, have been granted access to this mechanism by Todd, along with the authority to use it when necessary. Additional suggestions and changes are still being discussed by the group, but recent discussions and community trends have prompted us to implement this particular change now.

SNIP

   Kelly McKiernan

I would like to thank the LUGNET Transition Team, those listed here as well as those not listed, for their continued efforts on behalf of the AFOL Community.

I also hope that the mere mention of this new policy and consequences outlined will lead to self monitoring and will not need implementation.

I would like to suggest that the instances of “timeout” be considerate of three main points:

1) Age of the individual at the time of posting. Children have different attitude and behaviors when it comes to online posting than adults. I leave it to you to determine whether the adult or the child’s behaviors are more appropriate, but understand that and adult and a child will differ in their posting and their reaction to “timeout.” The LTT should appreciate this fact and penalize accordingly.

2) Repeated “timeouts” lead to...? This was not mentioned in your post and should be outlined so that the penalty for successive “timeouts” is understood. There might be a few “hot-heads” that return to the thread immediately after returning from “timeout” only to be penalized again. Have you considered how the ToS addresses this and will a new policy need to be added?

3) Where will the notification appear? Will the nature of the timeout be public or private? Will you post in the thread where the reason for penalty occurred or will there be a new newsgroups to publically post those that are in “timeout?” My personal preference is for there to be a public posting informing the community of the reasoning and example of the infraction (without repeating the foul langauage) either as a reply to the post where the fracion occurred in the thread or in a newsgroup set aside for announcing timeouts. I think a public posting is important not to single people out but to educate others about improper postings and to be up front about the process of the LTT. Since the transition team represents the community, there actions to discipline group members should be public so as to dispell any notions of the LTT working against particular individuals. You might have addressed this in you carefully worded explanation, but not in the detail I am asking for here.

Sincerely, Appreciatively, Respectfully,

Todd (the other one, Thuma)