 Administrative / Terms of Use / 494
Re: LUGNET Posting Policy Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:26:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.terms, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.terms, Dave Schuler wrote:

   Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of appeal process?

We have not developed one.

I think part of the reason why is that an appeal process would probably take longer than a suspension in the first place. Most suspensions would be in the range of 24 hrs to 72 hrs (1 day - 3 days) - and an appeal process (which would require contacting more admins and getting their opinions, and Admins are rarely all online at the same time, and then the Admins to discuss and come to a conclusion) would probably take a week (5-7 days) or more.

I’d think an appeal process would be more important for dealing with permanent bans, etc - punishments of a longer duration than the ones we’re discussing here.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I guess that makes sense. But does a Timeout go on one’s “permanent record?” If not, then a 72-hour appeal process wouldn’t be of much use against a 24-hour Timeout. But if a Timeout does remain as a blot on my otherwise meritorious LUGNET record, then I’d be willing to initiate the 72-hour appeal to have it expunged.

In any case, thanks to Lar and Lenny for the quick responses.

Dave!