 Administrative / Terms of Use / 476
Re: LUGNET Posting Policy Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:33:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

   Suspending posting privileges is a serious step, not one to take lightly or capriciously and therefore the policy we will use has been given some thought. By convention and agreement, it will take at least two of the abovementioned folks to agree that a timeout is necessary for a particular case, and to agree on the length and groups that it applies to. Although, mechanically, anyone with the authority can add (or remove) privs at will for any user can do so by themselves, we are going to do so only after consultation within the group.

This is a matter that we will enforce ourselves, if members of the group violate our internal guideline we will take action as necessary. When a timeout is deemed warranted by at least two administrators, action will be taken. All admin action is always subject to review by all administrators.

Whatever the least restrictive time proposed is will be the one used; so if Kelly thinks that Lar needs a 24 hour time out and Frank thinks it’s more like 48, then it is the 24 hour period that will carry. Further, if Kelly thinks that the ban needs to apply to all groups except admin.general but Frank thinks it only needs to apply to market and off-topic, then it will only apply to market and off-topic.

Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of appeal process? For example, if Lar doesn’t think that his hypothetical 24-hour Timeout is appropriate, can he request a review of the decision, or is the decision considered to have been reviewed before the Timeout is even revealed to the Timeoutee? In any case, and in my opinion, Lar’s had a hypothetical 24-hour Timeout coming for a long time now, and I hypothetically applaud this hypothetical disciplinary measure.

Dave!