 Administrative / General / 13499
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:57:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
[snip]
I'm curious, is any action being taken against those who have been baiting
Eric?

No.

I absolutely agree that Eric has committed TOS violations, but the
degree of baiting that he has been subject to has no place on Lugnet, or at
least would have had no place on Lugnet 6 years ago.

Six years ago there were two full-time administrators.

Perhaps that sounds like a cheezy answer,

Suz, I don't think this sounds like a cheesy answer in the slightest. I'm a true
believer about the power of online community, but I for one also understand the
dynamics of good and bad that are inherent to them. While it allows people to
band together who might not otherwise ever meet in person, the downside of that
is that online community isn't inhibited (in a good sense) by staring someone in
the eye before you act out.

Where there is a lack of attention, disorder ensues. And where there is disorder
there is chaos and disruption. If you're familiar with the Broken Window Theory,
the entire premise is that removing disorder removes major problems because
people are more likely to break a window if they see broken windows all over the
place - one more broken window simply won't matter (as they see it).

I can only hope that the next administration finds ways to deal with them or
removes them entirely from the community.

Honestly, at this point I hope there IS a "next administration". We've been
talking about a transition/turnover/move of some sort for years now. I'm still
holding out hope that by this year's BrickFest there'll be a finalization to the
solution presented at last year's BF.

At this point, however, my biggest hope/desire is that LUGNET doesn't decline
further. When you google "LEGO Community", the first result is LUGNET.
Personally, I'd hate to see a potential AFOL convert come in and see the flame
wars and think that that's what the AFOL community is all about. As much as I
truly love and appreciate LUGNET, I'd rather see it shut down than devolve
further.

You're completely right though - empowered full-time moderators (or in lieu of
that, a firm moderation plan of some sort) is badly needed to return LUGNET to
the glory days of years gone by.

Jake
---
Jake McKee