 Administrative / General / 13431
Re: Warnings( was: WAKE UP!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 08:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.people, Ross Crawford wrote:
[snip]
Actually, that raises another question. Should admins disregard
advice/warnings given by others (non-admins and admins in non-admin role) in
making decisions about timeouts/bans? Seems to me they should count for
{something}, though exactly how they should be taken into account is not an
easy question to answer.

ROSCO

In my experience, mod/admin decisions should be made based on official
warnings rather than peer recommendations, which may be biased or incomplete.
For instance, having 5 people say "Don't do that" about something is not as
effective as a site admin saying the same thing, especially when the admin
can cite reasons why they shouldn't, or state what the consequences of
repeated infranctions would be. In many cases, the admin could point to a
particularly well-written statement from another member and say, "that's
why," and it would be official at that point, but not before. That also
allows the admin to make decisions about the entire thread, including
warning/suspending other members who may have also stepped over the line,
regardless of who or what they were arguing for or about.

This assumes a couple of things that may not be relevant on LUGNET at this
time: one, that members acquiesce to admin authority; and two, that there is
proactive admin presence and activity.

{Kelly}

Another question: Assumming the rules are stated and understood by all, and
"sentences" are fairly standardized, need non-admins be informed of the duration
of something like a time-out? I worry about this because I don't want to see
people beating up on a user while they're unable to defend themselves, nor do I
want their return to be marked as an event. In the past, I've not told other
people. Thus there was no feeling of obligation on part of the returning user to
"mark" their return. Do you know what I mean?

-Suz