 Administrative / General / 13479
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:32:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
[snip]
I'm curious, is any action being taken against those who have been baiting
Eric?

No.

I absolutely agree that Eric has committed TOS violations, but the
degree of baiting that he has been subject to has no place on Lugnet, or at
least would have had no place on Lugnet 6 years ago.

Frank

Six years ago there were two full-time administrators.

Perhaps that sounds like a cheezy answer, because we naturally prefer to think
of moral standards as unaffected by things like hours-in-a-day, but the harsh
reality is that it takes significant time and energy to administrate properly. I
simply do not have resources to keep up with all of the threads on LUGNET to the
degree that would be required (in my view) to make confident judgement calls in
the gray-areas of baiting and such.

I have no doubts about my sense of right and wrong, or my instincts for what may
reek of a "bad post", but I'm loath to start passing out punishment at this late
stage in the game. I predicted last summer that I'd be too burned out by
end-of-Fall to finish a transition and might need to resort to shutting this
place down, yet here I am. If I were to now take it upon myself to define policy
and carry out and defend all of my administrative actions, I have little doubt
it'd spell the end of LUGNET (and maybe even me).

I apologize for this state of affairs. I assure you my standards for posting
quality remain high, but I also understand what it would cost for me to "uphold
the law" and set a good example. (You and others here have made excellent
mentors for me in this regard, BTW.) I am truly sorry that the user experience
here suffers due to the inconsiderate actions of a familiar obdurate bunch. I
can only hope that the next administration finds ways to deal with them or
removes them entirely from the community.

Lastly, I should say that in this specific instance, I believe the "guilty
parties" would have a decent case against me if they were of the view that I
"should have been here" and ought not to retro-actively wield power over them.
Eric's guilt was clear. He wasn't selected to be made an example of. And the
others were not meant to be regarded as "getting off scott free", as someone
else said. Perhaps you'd prefer a resolution to this matter that included my
giving certain people a stern talking-to. I would agree that that would be
ideal. My post to .mecha about noise was unspecific to individuals as a way to
avoid argument and keep things focused forward. Yet I would guess that my
distaste for the flare-up in general was still made clear by it, else I would
have simply stated Eric's guilt and sentence.

I hope this fully addresses your concern.

-Suz