 Administrative / General / 12788
Re: LUGNET members association
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:50:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Sorry, that was rhetoric. LUGNET is not infinite so there never has been an
"endless" one. But there have been lots of interminable ones, don't you agree?

I think that is irrelevant here so I will not agree or disagree.

I agree debate is not going to change the initial decision, but it CAN point out
fallacies in the decision process that could lead ANOTHER decision that (at
least partially) undoes the initial decision, and hopefully reduces the chance
of a similar incorrect decisions in the future.

Assuming it was an incorrect decision, that is.

Of course.

I'm not aware of any reviewing decisions (decisions, not implementations of
them, we have already acknowledged some issues with one specific one) that have
been incorrect, since I started being involved in making them. Are you?

OK, I'm not groking what you mean here. Please explain using an example (maybe
the specific one you mention above) the exact difference between the reviewing
decision and the implementation.

For a "made up" example

The decision would be "person A gets a timeout of 48 hours for reason X, and the
standard notice and group conditions apply" and the implementation was:

the implementation would be

post 1 - Person A gets a timeout indefinitely for reason Y
post 2 - No, we meant a 48 hour timeout, not indefinitely, we were in a hurry
post 3 - We forgot to mail person A
post 4 - Actually we meant reason X, not Y (although Y is, in this extreme case,
a justifiable reason despite our policy that normally we don't care about Y type
events, this particular Y is an "incite to riot")
post 5 - the mail wasn't the standard boilerplate so, oops...
etc.

The decision that 48 hours was the needed timeout for reason X wasn't wrong.

Just the implementation.

That's all fine, given that the ToU says "reason X will result in a timeout of
48 hours". However, I doubt the ToU will ever cover every possible reason for
timeout, and a corresponding duration. There will be timeouts given which are
not covered *specifically* by the ToU, and people do not agree with, there must
be seen to be an avenue for people to give their opinion and have it considered.

BTW, just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean you shouldn't allow for
it in the policy document. If there's been an implementation with issues, isn't
it just as likely a reviewing decision could have issues?

Not sure it's "just as likely", no.

Semantics, how about I change "just as likely" to "possible"?

Does that assurance need to be given every time? Doesn't that show a lack of
trust, to require that assurance?

I think it does. If there was total trust, we wouldn't require a policy
document.

And THAT'S the crux of why LUGNET is at least partly broken. The admins don't
trust (some of) the users and (some of) the users (not necessarily the same
ones) don't trust the admins.

OK let me put it another way, if it's worth creating a P&P doc, it's worth
assuring the users they will be listened to.

ROSCO