 Administrative / General / 12769
Re: LUGNET members association
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:33:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
So for that reason, the admins (like so many other community admins) don't
see that it is necessarily useful to debate a reviewing action endlessly once
it was taken. We have a process for making decisions, and we use that
process, and once we've decided, that's it, the decision happened.

I think the problem is the way it's presented. Please, don't ever tell people
not to talk about it. Telling people "this decision is final, don't discuss it
anymore" is very stand-offish. You're right, the decision may indeed be final,
but at least try to be interested in further discussion. Ohterwise, you turn it
into "members vs. the administration".

"We are not going to debate" might not be the best phrasing but that's the
important idea to convey. How would you phrase it differently?

As above, I don't think "we are not going to debate" is the right idea to
convey. The right idea I think is "The decision stands, but we're still
interested in feedback".

The natural tendancy when someone challenges you is to say "NO, I'M RIGHT!" So
when someone says something contrary, the best course of action is to say
"That's a good point, because .... We didn't feel that it counterbalanced this
other point, however". Try your hardest to show them that they're correct, but
still wrong.

DaveE