 Administrative / General / 1235
Re: Lugnet clone handling? (was: Re: LEGO clone auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:49:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Well, first of all, clone brands aren't LEGO®.  They're as different from
"the real thing" as Pepsi is from Coke, Timex is from Rolex, and Budweiser
is from Guinness.

Just putting my oar in here, and it's probably tangential.. but I don't
see these brands as quite the same examples. While some could argue that
Pepsi(r) is a knockoff, I don't think Pepsi historians would agree. And
the other two pairings are completely non knockoff... they're completely
independent brands, not intended as clones, that just happen to target
different market segments.

After all, you don't often see Timex packages labeled with "compatible
with the time kept by leading brands", or Bud cans labeled with
"compatible with the glasses that Guiness is served in".

OK, you're right -- they're not great (maybe not even good) examples -- but
I needed something to get the point across that I was trying to make.

I'm sure Coke *wants* everyone to believe that Pepsi is a clone of it,
whether or not it's true.

Similarly, Bud isn't really a ripoff of Guinness and Timex isn't really a
ripoff of Rolex.  :)

For the sake of future possible analogies, do any *good* examples come to
mind where a market leader for many decades has been copied by junk brands?
There must be. . . . . .

--Todd