 Administrative / General / 1163
Re: Lugnet clone handling? (was: Re: LEGO clone auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 17:35:35 GMT

John Neal wrote:

You are SO right on with that observation Christopher!  But I think that *all*
of us feel this way to some extent.  Sure, we joke about it, but seriously:
what is it about Lego that is _so_ completely different than any other toy,
and I mean _really_ different?
I wonder if it is some form of nostalgic narcissism [1].

[1] What the hell *that* is I haven't a clue, but it sounded good and it's
alliterative:-)

Hmm...sounds like a condition that aging, has-been rockers have....have
you seen some of the VH1 "Where Are They Now?" episodes?

-John

Reflected in some recent and historic posts is a seemingly neurotic
aversion to clone bricks.  What is the origin of this?  I'm not
interested in MegaBlocks because
they feel cheap and sort-of smoosh together instead of snapping together
like Lego, but it seems that for some Lego is the religion competing
against others.  What's the deal?

I've noticed this too.  I like to think the aversion comes from
legitimate concerns about quality - but modern MegaBloks are of a very
high quality.  I have a few Tyco bricks that I think are on par with
Lego bricks with regard to their quality so it would be even harder to
make the quality argument in that case.

It's easy to discriminate against the clones based on set design, I
think; Lego still has the best designs by a long shot - but that doesn't
explain the aversion to clones as building material.

Sometimes I indulge in a fantasy of making my own bricks and starting my
own clone company or having the members of LUGNET/RTL start such a
venture.  The problem is that it would be *LEGO* so no matter how good
the brick quality or how good the designs - nobody would like it :(

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

--