 Administrative / General / 1170
Re: Lugnet clone handling? (was: Re: LEGO clone auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:59:58 GMT

LOL I have had that *same* idea, although mine was much more limited to producing
specialty pieces for trains, such as larger wheels, drivers, prototypical doors,
windows, engine noses, etc.  The secret IMO for these clone companies is to *not*
try to beat TLG in set design or quality, but to produce products that *augment *
Lego.  Why do they reproduce virtually the exact same type elements and set
designs?!  Why try and reinvent the 2x4?  To the clone companies [1] I would say
"Okay, your bricks are compatible, great.  Now produce something that isn't already
being done by TLG.  Space Shuttle?  Forget it.  Tanks and war stuff, okay.  Doesn't
turn *my* crank, but it's somewhere where TLG won't go.  That's good.  Now,  how
about producing train stuff to run on Lego gauge?  Unique stuff.  I think the
temptation for even the most dyed-in-the-wool trainiacs to experiment  would be
overwhelming.  I see the possibilities as endless, just in a train theme alone!
<getting worked up now> all right, who's with me?!  Ante up, kids, we're going to
start our own clone company called Plabetto. [2]  Let the Good Times interlock!!!
[3]

[1]  Todd, I think it's time you start a "Dear-insert-clone-company-name NG"
[2]  Plabetto= Play+Better+the obligatory "o" ending to make it sound fun!
Incidently, IIRC the word playbetto is also Greek for "I build an accessory for a
better mousetrap"
[3]  Our first international advertising campaign jingle using that Narcissistic
Nostalgic band The Cars

Sometimes I indulge in a fantasy of making my own bricks and starting my
own clone company or having the members of LUGNET/RTL start such a
venture.  The problem is that it would be *LEGO* so no matter how good
the brick quality or how good the designs - nobody would like it :(

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

--