 Administrative / General / 1159
1158  |  1160
Subject:
Lugnet clone handling? (was: Re: LEGO clone auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:38:07 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Hmm.. This IS perplexing.

Todd Lehman wrote:

Like the rest of the site, the .market.* hierarchy is for LEGO® brand
toys.

<charters snipped>

That means that my post about the availability of tee shirts was OFF
TOPIC there! Yikes. Is that what you intended?

I think Lego FAN items (web site announcements, tee shirt sales, events,
alternative RCX software, etc) do belong in the normal groups. Non-Lego
building systems belong in the clone-brands group. Modifications of Lego
bricks and inclusion of non-Lego materials when Lego has no real
alternative I would think would be generally appropriate in the regular
groups (though the line might be different in various groups, I can see
the robotics and possibly trains areas being more lenient than other
areas).

I don't follow the philosophy behind excluding anything clone from the
normal hierarchy of groups.  It seems like everything would be easier if
the charters were taken a little loosely and only when someone was being
problematically off-topic would they be pushed off to post somewhere
else.  Really, I think the names of the groups are good enough
indicators of what's supposed to be there and the topics discussed
(maybe with a few groups as exceptions) should be (and will be, anyway)
a little fuzzy but centered on the intended topic.

If there is a good argument for why I'm wrong (I mean better than "this
is owned by Todd and Suzanne and they can do whatever they want" - which
I agree with totally) I would appreciate hearing it.

Also, as for use of the market groups for clones, I would rather have
them in the normal market groups than doing market stuff in non-market
groups.  It doesn't affect me since I won't read the clone groups, and I
won't buy the clone parts, but from a newsgroup-use purist standpoint, I
think this would be better.  And from a community-building standpoint,
having people who use clones and Lego(tm) building bricks feel like
they're being ostracized is counterproductive.

Reflected in some recent and historic posts is a seemingly neurotic
aversion to clone bricks.  What is the origin of this?  I'm not
interested in MegaBlocks because
they feel cheap and sort-of smoosh together instead of snapping together
like Lego, but it seems that for some Lego is the religion competing
against others.  What's the deal?

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks