 Administrative / General / 1234
Re: Lugnet/Localities Navigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:16:44 GMT

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:26:45 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

'Grok' is a word with many definitions, I think, but basically, to grok
something means to understand it in a gut/zen/metaphysical way.

You're grokking it. See _Stranger in a Strange Land_ by RAH. I really
believe he invented the word for his character Michael Valentine Smith,
the Man from Mars. (along with the memorable phrases, "I am only an
egg." and "Thou art God.") That book gets a bit thick at times, but you
can't really say that you're well read if you haven't read it.

Interesting.  New Hacker's contrasts grok and zen.  See
<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/jargon_22.html#TAG807>

Micheal Valentine Smith.  Micheal W. Smith.  Hmm.

Steve "hopelessly off-topic" Bliss