 Technic / 15919
Re: What would YOU like to see from TECHNIC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:55:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego.announce, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   Hi all,

I’ve got a question for all TECHNIC enthusiasts out there... six questions, really. What types of TECHNIC vehicles would you like to see?

snip

According to what I have been reading so far, people need many realistic functions on their models. I am of the same view. Many have also expressed a wish of a cross-theme type of model (i.e. space shuttle). the space shuttle was great because it has many function with only one motor (excluding the satellite). The bar code truck was also using clever building technics to provide many function at a flick of a switch.

Now, as far as idea goes, I am probably looking at $129 sets. More on that: since Lego is now producing extremely large ($$$) Star Wars set, why not producing large Technic Sets.

Here are my three suggestions:

1- Been mentioned but an helicopter with collective, cyclic and tail pitch all linked to lever, joystick and pedals would be good.

2- A plane. Any type will do but with all movable control surfaces (aileron, tail, elevator but also flaps and directional frontwheel) all linked to a workable yoke. Trim would probably to difficult to attach to a trim wheel inside the cockpit but a regular lego hinge should at least provide more details. If you want to go really complicated you can also do variable pitch propeller. A tricycle setup would be nice as it would need new pieces to attach the back wheels properly. There could also be an internet plan if someone bought twice the set to build a twin engine plane with all function and retractable gear (still with a steering front wheel). Float with retractable wheels and rudder cable linked to cabin control would be also very good.

3- And finally: A train. The biggest group of fan here I believe is train. Why not build a 12-14 wide locomotive with all the linkage. Wheels would have to have limited suspension and leeway to move around curves (this would not be necessary really but just to ensure proper realism) I envision a locomotice suspended just slightly above a moc-track where pneumatic pistons would work the wheels through proper linkage. Hidden inside the boiler there would be a series of compressor to work the pistons (would need many compressors i.e. 8868 to achieve proper compression and speed to be interesting - on that front, a ‘compressor’ module directly attachable to the new XL motor would be good). More importantly, there would be a lever inside the cabin that would control the forward neutral and backward direction. Breaks would also be needed. Wheels would be 6-8 studs high and the proper metal weight for the wheels would also have to be created. Specifically speaking this would not do much really and would actually be static that is why realism would be somewhat important - A cross between technic and model team I suppose. A model to put on the mantle piece and just watch in amazement!

Potential add-on: on top of the potential compressor for the xl motor, a surmultiplication transmission would be good and would work nice on the helicopter mentioned above.

That’s all!!!

Thank you,
Kelly McKiernan, LEGO TECHNIC Webmaster