 Publishing / Brick Journal / 22
Re: A new project...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:36:16 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, John P. Henderson wrote:
   In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, David Gregory wrote:
   I agree with the several people who have expressed an interest for a printed copy of Brick Journal. I’m more than willing to pay for a subscription that would come in the mail.

Oh yeah, thanks for including my picture in the first issue. (I’m the Celebration III ISD build team member with the black shirt.) I had no idea this project was even in the works, and then I’m in the 1st issue. SWEET!

I’m a me-too-er on the issue of print as well. I have a slow connection, plus don’t always check more than my email when online. (It’s a fluke I saw this thread.) If it came mailed in print form, I’d be less likely to miss it.

But I’m posting to add ask, hasn’t this sort of idea been mentioned before? A quick search reveals this:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=40446

But the links therein seem to be dead.

I also seem to recall a thread (perhaps from that same source?) that asked for AFOLs to pre-subscribe by adding their name to a mailing list to get early dibs on issues. Naturally, I sent my name in, but sadly never heard any more. Was this (these) just an idea that has since become defunct (BJ excluded) ?

–Hendo

Hendo, that was the infamous “Bricks Magazine” or something like that. That was sometime around Dec 2002-Feb 2003, organized by someone who has completely dropped off Lugnet. Rumors abound, and likewise, nobody got their money back.

The goal of BrickJournal was to produce a magazine first, make it in .pdf format so it could be downloaded, readable, be enjoyed, and nobody would have to pay a subscription up front (or worse--grumble that this project would be another Bricks Magazine). In essence, we wanted to prove it could be done and have something tangible first--

BJ: “we have a magazine we’re writing, you can subscribe first, and then we “promise” to have a magazine done...”

AFOL: “yeah, right... is this another “Bricks Magazine” endeavor? I lost my money then, what makes you think I’ll pay again?”

BJ: “Here’s our first issue!” and it’s FREE!!!

That last line is what BrickJournal is providing--proof!

-Scott Lyttle BrickJournal Staffer/writer (Hope y’all liked the welcome article!)