 Publishing / Brick Journal / 51
Re: A new project...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Brace yourselves:

You’ve been slashdotted!

Pros: excellent exposure to potentially interested readers

Cons: sudden huge demand for the pdf’s will overload your server for a couple of days

Well, whoever the retard was who posted that link should be shot. I’m personally going to go and hunt him down. That and the dumbkoff who karma whored direct links in a followup comment. I’m going to hunt that person down too and shoot him second. :)

On the other hand, I now can say I’ve personally found out what a heavy traffic load is like from the inside: I was logged onto Peach while it happened today. The disk was so busy, it took a minute to rename the brickjournal directory.

But remarkably it was handling the load really well. There were a lot of active connections but apache was threading properly and pfiles were doing okay. I pulled the plug about an hour in. The major concern for me was the University’s network operations center raising a red flag, which they’ve done on Brickfest/Brickcast broadcasts, fearing hacker attacks.

This was the impact of the link being posted to Slashdot...you can see the huge peak around 3-4PM as throngs of bored geeks started downloading the PDF.

http://www.noc.utoronto.ca/im/jsp/IMrmonIf.jsp?dev=mech&iid=115&title=Mechanical%20Engineering

Calum