 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4298
Re: LD's Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:34:14 GMT

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

I am quite confused by the overall reaction to this.  I see what LD is doing as
the perfect sales model to make both collecters and builders happy.  They have
even eliminated the dealers/scalpers for the good of us all.  The builders can
get as many unnumbered* sets as they can afford at normal prices.  The
collectors get a fair shot at obtaining what they want and the money goes to LD
not some dealer/scalper.  Now if the builders could not get sets at normal
prices I would see a problem, but that is not the case.  So what is the
commotion about?

That penultimate sentence got me thinking. . .

Now, the fact is that there are, and have been for some time, parts that
builders could not get at "normal" prices.  Lugnet readers hear about
these often when people report on their trips to Legoland parks.  I speak,
of course, about the bulk bricks---see, e.g.,
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=25787
http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/?n=230
Unlike the Super Chief, these parts are often *not available* to normal
builders---unless they happen to live in SoCal, or are willing to buy an
airplane ticket to buy Lego.  Historically, it's been up to middlemen to
try to effectively distribute these parts to the people who want them.
Now, perhaps, LD will be interested in meeting the needs of builders
everywhere[1] via Ebay or some such venue, rather than leaving such
matters up to luck or "connections".

TWS Garrison
tgarriso@math.purdue.edu
   http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] People did notice that lego-direct (on Ebay) does ship globally, yes?
This is in marked contrast to S@H (as I'm sure AFOLs from Africa, Latin
America, Asia, and those parts of Europe which TLC considers unimportant
will tell you).