 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4294
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 04:26:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
All,

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I announce the new LEGO
Auctions! Check out the new area of the online LEGO Shop at
http://shop.LEGO.com/eBay.
[snip]
- We will be auctioning Santa Fe Super Chief locomotive sets #0001-
0010 over the next few weeks, starting with #0001.[snip]

(!!!) whoah. This strikes me icky.

Didn't the top response to polling on this at lego.com suggested the
same?

Who will receive the money generated? LD?
(LD will certainly benefit in plenty of other ways...)

I don't know much about limited editions, but, it seems kinda broken to
have held those sets back from real customers when they were advertised
as 10,000 available.

Sorry, but, I've just never seen this kinda thing.. I've probably just
been in the dark - I'm not a collector - but it disturbs me to see LD
generating their own collecting interest. I know we could all
consciously choose to not bid, but that's unlikely to happen (esp. given
what you've got the power to offer).

I am quite confused by the overall reaction to this.  I see what LD is doing as
the perfect sales model to make both collecters and builders happy.  They have
even eliminated the dealers/scalpers for the good of us all.  The builders can
get as many unnumbered* sets as they can afford at normal prices.  The
collectors get a fair shot at obtaining what they want and the money goes to LD
not some dealer/scalper.  Now if the builders could not get sets at normal
prices I would see a problem, but that is not the case.  So what is the
commotion about?

-Mike Petrucelli

*Only the first production run of 10,000 was numbered.