 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4320
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 05:28:54 GMT

This is the first step towards LEGO as COLLECTIBLE, something you buy in • mint,
keep sealed, and hope it goes up in value.

Since a true collector won't open the box, it follows that it doesn't matter
what is in the box (because they will never know, as opening the box reduces
its value). So to realise its value, the collector must believe without proof
in the contents of the box and believe that others will believe without proof
even more (and hence pay even more) in the future. The level of faith involved
is quite frankly incredible.

In those circumstances, I wonder why Lego is providing a display stand for the
set. It sounds like they should have provided a display stand for the mint
box!

Furthermore, if the box is opened (doubtless, through some hurricane, cat
fight, train disaster, etc) and it is revealed that the box doesn't contain
the #1 Sante Fe, then, in the mind of the collector, it is that even rarer
thing: a misprint. Then the set probably sells for even more, being the only
known example of a #1 Sante Fe with a misprint.

Kerry