 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4285
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:11:26 GMT

I don't normally post my comments in threads like this (I like to stick to
gears and wires and sensors and stuff like that), but once in a while,
there's the urge to add my 2c worth.

LD is in business to make money - all businesses are! The ones who intend on
sticking around that is.

They could have priced the Super Chief set higher and still watched them fly
off the shelves I think. But they didn't. I suspect they used their "normal"
set pricing procedure to set the price.

They obviously knew that certain key numbers of the limited edition run
would have inherent value and I don't blame them one bit for "cashing in" on
that value. After all, I suspect these early numbered sets would just have
bounced around ebay or some other buy and sell scheme until they reached
premium price, putting money in the pockets of people who just happen to
have been lucky enough to get them. That would be no more or less than a
lottery and I don't see LD being in the lottery business creating winners
and losers.

So they decided to keep the cash themselves. Good! Does it mean that there's
a few more hundred dollars in the kitty for LD to show up at fan events like
BricksWest or BrickFest. I hope so!

I appreciate their continuing interest in us AFOLs, and if limited edition
auctions are a the way to keep them interested and help fund that interest,
that's fine with me.

JB