 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4270
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:54:24 GMT

I guess I'm breaking my self-imposed rule of not 'discussing' on LUGNET here
- I try only post to get information out to the public and to praise
creations - but here goes.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rick Clark writes:
Not sure I see what you find disturbing. My take on it is that it's a
more fair way to distribute a one-of-a-kind, collectible model. The
alternative is that some Joe Schmo randomly receives number 0001. He
either gives it to his 7 year old, who promptly loses the numbered tile;
or he never opens the box, and we never find out who has #0001; or he
opens it, destroying the collectible value of it. I don't really like
any of those options.

I totally agree.

The auction method gives everyone a fair market chance to purchase what
many feel is a highly desirable set. Additionally, it gives LEGO Direct
some additional hard data that it can show to LEGO Corporate, showing
that they are doing things right (the fact that in the first twelve
hours of a ten day auction, the set has been bid to nine times its
original value, should prove to be quite interesting to the suits at the
home office).

Yep.  I think its obvious LEGO Direct is doing well as it is.  If they
weren't, we wouldn't see all the cool newer stuff like the Super Chief to
begin with.  If LD was doing things wrong and not right, how would they have
gotten the funding to go out on a limb and design a totally new product like
that?  LD has their act together, IMO.

I think what upsets me and offends me much more than these auctions is
seeing members of this community slam LEGO for this.  If I were the one who
posted this announcement after working hard on the program, I'd be a bit put
off.  I have no idea how Jake or others at LEGO Direct feel about it, but
I'm speaking from my own perspective.  I hope they let it roll off and focus
on what they do best.

We as a community should be wanting to work with LEGO, not slamming them.
Slamming's different than constructive criticism.  The latter is good for
learning from shortcomings, the former doesn't build either side up.  I
offer honest constructive criticism as well as I take it.  But I see
publicly slamming LEGO here as counterproductive and terribly embarrassing
for this community.

-Tim (who probably won't stay in a long discussion about this, if one happens)