 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4287
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:42:40 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tamyra Teed writes:
I agree with you Suz, I don't like this idea.  It's not like Lego doesn't make
enough money selling through normal channels, why inflate the price of an item
by auctioning it?   If they start doing this with all sets, I have a feeling
they are going to believe ALL their sets are worth that amount and we'll see
the cost of lego rise needlessly.  Instead, auction some of those jr'ized
sets, see the real value... 0.00   I feel they are just testing to see how
rabid collectors are, and what they can charge them in the future for sets
that are built with real bricks.  While they continue to jr'ize the rest of
the lineup, forcing us to buy the higher priced items at auction to get decent
parts.

I don't think this at all.  I accepted the auctions to help 9-11, I thought
Lego was doing a good thing there.  This.. I don't believe as being a good
thing.

Tamy

Too bad, isn't it?
When I read about the Lego direct auctions, I was a bit skeptic at first
about the whole concept. If you think about, look at Disney Co. They do the
same thing with their products. I remember checking out Ebay once, and they
were selling all sorts of colectables, notes "exclusive" or "unique" by
Disney@ebay auctions, and the prices were absolutekly crazy. In my mind, I
bet Disney has hundreds more in their so called "vaults". Is it me, or is
Lego trying to capitilize on this very same concept?

If this were to test how anxious collectors are to get valuable sets, than
I'm not exactly surprised about it. What's getting me, though, is that Super
Chief deal. Wouldn't the president of Lego own the first one off the press?
Why is this suddenly being sold off? Is it just me, or is this some sort of
scam?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but please excuse me if I'm a bit of a
skeptic. :)

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112