 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4325
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:37:47 GMT

[snip]
I'm suggesting that you wouldn't sell the same
number of backgrounds because many people might not want to display their
kit, but rather play with it.  Or break it down for parts.  Or they bought
one to display and others to use otherwise.  So that's where I'm suggesting
that the number of backgrounds you could sell would be only a percentage of
the locomotives themselves.

I would disagree here.  With the good part assortment in hard to get colors,
that background would no doubt sell very well.  Not to display the engine but
to cannibalize for parts.  (I know Allan, you do not buy just for the sake of
parts. I assume that is why, despite suggesting people will break down the
engine for parts, you did not think of that.)

[snip]

The efforts put into manufacturing this pseudo limited edition would have
been better coming up with long term plans on how to carry forward the
momentum created by such an outstanding set.  I've said it before, I'll say
it again, "This set didn't need this cheap gimic to sell well."

Well I made my initial reaction to the comotion clear here:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4294
What I wonder is, maybe they are planing to "carry forward the momentum" as you
suggest. (hoping and praying) Only time will tell though.  You are totally
right about TLC not needing the gimick to sell this set well.

All the best,
Allan B.

-Mike Petrucelli