 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4288
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:20:47 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rick Clark writes:

Not sure I see what you find disturbing. My take on it is that it's a
more fair way to distribute a one-of-a-kind, collectible model. The
alternative is that some Joe Schmo randomly receives number 0001. He
either gives it to his 7 year old, who promptly loses the numbered tile;
or he never opens the box, and we never find out who has #0001; or he
opens it, destroying the collectible value of it. I don't really like
any of those options.

From http://shop.lego.com/eBay/  : "Train model assembly is required."

So the box gets opened anyway (which to me seems a weird requirement, which
is hard to verify)

As for some 7 year old obtaining it, no matter how WE look at it, LEGO is at
heart still a toy, primarily meant for children for them to play with.
IMHO it would have been fine to simply mix up the first sets with the
rest... this auction indeed looks bad to me, unless they use the money they
raise with it for some charity project.

Jan-Albert van Ree