 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4297
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:53:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
From http://shop.lego.com/eBay/  : "Train model assembly is required."

So the box gets opened anyway (which to me seems a weird requirement, which
is hard to verify)

I think what they're trying to say is that "The locomotive does not come
assembled as shown, but instead, one needs to build it in order to have the
nice looking display model shown here."  This is different from the
stand/tracks, which come pre-assembled.  I guess this is like many non-LEGO
items that you buy, and it says on the box "some assembly required".
I doubt they intend to try to force people to actually open it and build it.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with LEGO auctioning off the first
serial numbers of a limited edition product.  I'd much rather see LEGO make
$500+ on the #0001, than some opportunist who buys it for $40, and then
sells it on ebay the next day for $500.

I'm sure it irks LEGO that some MISB sets like the 5571 Black Cat/Giant
Truck and Metroliner (before it was re-released) are being sold for at least
double their original price on eBay and Bricklink. The profits then go
straight into the seller's pocket, instead of LEGO's.

Then again, I could be way off, since I am not a collector.  I buy LEGO to
open, build, admire the finished model, and take it apart to build some MOCs.

Just my .02 CDN$ worth.

John