 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4326
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:39:49 GMT

The phrase has become a cheap, gimicky and overused marketing term which is
frankly beneath the high standards that LEGO sets for itself.

As an example of a limited edition product:

A person who makes leather wallets in their basement as a part-time activity
can more genuinely produce 'limited edition' products.  They can only turn
out so many each year, they can only get so much of the specific fine
leather they require and may only product a few dozen of a particular design
before moving on to something different.  These are limited edition products.

The only thing limited about LEGO's Santa Fe was the amount of time they ran
the molding machines to make them.  Which, as it turns out, wasn't as
limited as first thought, since more unnumbered sets are apparently to be
produced.  This is an artificial planned creation of a perceived
collectibility.  All I'm saying is that as a customer I find this kind of
low-brow marketing to be substandard compared to the way in which LEGO has
previously sold their products.

This is very true.  However, the REAL concept of the Limited Edition has to
be taken into consideration.  The example you gave is not a "real" limited
edition.  Sure, there were only a few dozen of the same design made.  That
is true.  But the real concept comes in the number.  The Santa Fe is 1 of
10,000.  That is documented.  I have an Action NASCAR diecast that is 1 of
624.  That is documented because I have the COA.  All MV Agusta Senna
motorcycles come with a document stating what number and why it's special.
It's documented.  The wallet example doesn't work because that is more of a
hobby example than a limited production run.  For the most part, everything
that is limited edition comes with some form of document stating WHY or HOW
limited it really is.  Is that correct?

Therefore, the only thing limited about the Santa Fe train is the fact that
it comes with the document stating what number you have and the personalized
stickers.

Brendan