 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4282
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:59:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On Wednesday, April 3, 2002, at 03:03  AM, Rick Clark wrote:
Suzanne D. Rich wrote:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
All,
It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I announce the new LEGO
Auctions! Check out the new area of the online LEGO Shop at
http://shop.LEGO.com/eBay.
[snip]
- We will be auctioning Santa Fe Super Chief locomotive sets #0001-
0010 over the next few weeks, starting with #0001.[snip]
(!!!) whoah. This strikes me icky.

Icky that a company would auction their own products? How so?

No, icky that:

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I announce the new LEGO
Auctions! Check out the new area of the online LEGO Shop at
http://shop.LEGO.com/eBay.
[snip]
- We will be auctioning Santa Fe Super Chief locomotive sets #0001-
0010 over the next few weeks, starting with #0001.[snip]

Who will receive the money generated? LD?

Why wouldn't they?

I can imagine many potential reasons why LD wouldn't rcv the profits,
but my question was meant literally.

(LD will certainly benefit in plenty of other ways...)

Is that a bad thing?

No. Well, I think that's up to subjective judgement. But, assuming your
question was aimed, at least in part, at me..  I'm not sure how I feel.
Seeing the recent post has altered my impression of LD, and TLC. But I'm
with Mario in what he said here:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4273

Sorry, but, I've just never seen this kinda thing..

You've never seen a company auction off a one-of-a-kind product? Or
never seen LEGO do it?

Either one. (In *all* honesty)

I don't follow the processes of collecting; nor have I heard of this
exact scenario via happenstance. I'm aware that I may be unusual here,
which is why I also wrote this:

>> I've probably just been in the dark - I'm not a collector -

BTW, I've never bought anything through eBay.

Not sure I see what you find disturbing.

me either.

Maybe in a few days I'll feel less disturbed. Then I could assume that
some of it came from my shock and ignorance.

The alternative is that some Joe Schmo randomly receives number 0001.

The likelihood of Joe receiving number 0001 would not be random. But I
do see how the likelihood of you gaining possesion of the model could be
lessened.

He either gives it to his 7 year old, who promptly loses the numbered
tile; or he never opens the box, and we never find out who has #0001;
or he opens it, destroying the collectible value of it. I don't really
like any of those options.

Your fictional account wouldn't upset me, but I'm sure that has to do
with my not being a collector. :-)

From my perspective: when I first heard of the set's release, my
excitement was mostly about the building instructions. I think it's a
beautiful model. Also, I was glad to see TLC continuing to release train
sets because I hope to buy more tracks and stuff in the future.

I'm very happy that the new model continues to be available because I
can't afford to buy one right now. I may buy one later, but I wouldn't
care if it had an assigned number or not. I'd -certainly- want the
pleasure of playing with it, which makes me like your Joe character.

So did I totally miss your point, or do we just see things differently?

I'm not sure I was trying to make a point, but we do see things
differently. And that's "okay" :-)

I was more curious as to whether or not there's a large number of
readers here that feel as I do, and I wanted to make my feelings known.
But I appreciate your perspective too. I see your points about fairness
for collectors and LD's keeping their interests in mind.

-Suz