 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4289
Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:37:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[start Suz reflecting..]

I haven't thought about Mattel in a while, but, I used to wish TLC had
something like the Barbie Collector's club because every so often I hear
of a doll that's called a "Collector's Request" or some-such. I don't
know Mattel's process, but I think the concept is cool, and now we kinda
have that via LD (re-releases for ex.).

Another thing I liked about Mattel's Barbie marketing was their online
"Build Your Own Barbie" tool (though it was much cooler in 1999). I
wished I could make a custom minifig via lego.com and order it. Brad has
told us we'll have some things like that in the future. Today we're
getting 'mock-customization' [1]

[end Suz reflecting..]

Mattel's nice Collector Barbie dolls are prohibitively expensive for me.
[2] I always hope to find dolls at little cost and of high quality, but
usually I settle for just the little cost part. So, that's one method
for companies to separate the users from the collectors... Maybe I'd be
happier if LD had called the new set "For Collectors Only," delayed
their availability, and not held this auction. Maybe in the future, as
Tamy began to suggest, the price will be much higher. Then it'll be more
obvious to me what I'm not supposed to buy (else I screw up things for
the collectors).
;-)

BTW, the fictional 'Joe' character, mentioned earlier in the thread,
makes me think of kids who buy Happy Meals. I saw collectors in line
with me at McDonald's when they had Beanie Babies for sale. I know
that's different. I just wanted to throw my thought out there.. BTW,
it's my understanding that BB were only sold via small, private
retailers so they'd seem more collectable. Hmm, now wouldn't *that* be
cool...
:-D

Well, TLC (via LD) auctioning their own stuff on e-Bay still looks
cheezy to me. Sorry, but, that's how I feel. Lump it together with how I
feel about many of their other 'new directions.' [3]

-Suz

[1] term for a shopping service that looks like mass-customization, but
isn't. Like the train cars at LD.

[2] Don't tell anyone, but... [whisper] I sometimes buy Barbie stuff.
But only the dolls of "Barbie's friend," called Kira. OK, well, maybe
also a few of those $25 ones to get the high quality outfits... Yes, I
play with them. In fact, I like for them to have articulated limbs, so
I'll pull Kira heads off and place them on articulated doll bodies I buy
on clearance.
   http://www.baseplate.com/mavica/kira/onscale.jpg

[3] Before anyone jumps on me.. I know TLC and LD can do whatever they
want. I know the community has benefited. I know they need to make
money, etc. I'm just a pathetically nostalgic AFOL regarding some things.