 General / 55940
Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 07:21:09 GMT

I *never* visit Lugnet any more, but thought I'd pop in, and here you guys are!

It's very interesting - over on the SeaLUG email list, we've been having a big
discussion about all these changes, and the nature of LEGO fan-dom, fan cons,
and whatnot.  I knew that some changes along these lines were coming, and it's
been interesting to see the various reactions of people.

My own feelings are basically very much in line with David's.  My LEGO-based
business aside, for me LEGO is about the bricks, the people, and sharing
experiences together.  The company itself is much less important.  Also, like
you guys, I've been around a loooooong time, and can keenly remember when the
company had zero contact with the outside world (at least from my small-town
Canadian perspective), so to see the interaction that fans have now?  Quite
remarkable.

That said, I do think that TLG has begun to take its fan base a little for
granted.  Gushing fan support is assumed, and that may turn out to be less true
than the Danish high mucky-mucks believe.  We shall see.

I just really hope I'll be able to get out to the GTO next July to hang out with
you guys!

Robin