 General / 55920
Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:26:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

<snip>

I do want to be prefectly clear regarding my comments--I have no issue with
discussion.  Actually, I actively encourage it!  One only had to go to the
archives of off-topic.debate right here on LUGNET to know that i love
discussion!

If people have an issue with anything, especially as it relates to how or what
TLC does, then there are open forums, and meetings, and so many ways to present
and debate your views.

My issue, and it's a very fine distinction, is the assertion, "TLC didn't do
what I wanted (isn't listening to me/produced that ludicrously bad set/isn't
patting me on the head/etc.), therefore I'm done with the hobby!"

This begs the question, "Why are you in this hobby in the first place?"  I mean,
I can't think of a single instance from anyone I know that is active in the LEGO
hobby that started under the premise, "I'm here because of what TLC does for
me!"

I think most of us, if not all of us, are here because of our enjoyment of
building/creating with LEGO bricks.  Yes the company produces these bricks, but
again, would your enjoyment go away if TLC stopped producing bricks tomorrow??
If so, why?

For me, I'm joyous that TLC is around to produce new stuff for us to enjoy.  I
speak to the company through my pocketbook--I don't buy sets I dislike and buy
the sets I do like.

I'm also very happy that TLC decided to give a run at the AFOL community, wit
the various outreaches over the past, what, 10 years?  I'm not sure as to the
actual number of years or even when we can say it began (mainstream that is),
but they put in the effort!  Kudos!!

I'm not happy they stopped the production of 9v.  Really I'm not.  I'm not keen
on the bley, either.  But, really, did these decisions affect my appreciation of
building/creating with the bricks I have??  No.  Did I yip??  Probably, but, in
the end, it wan't my decision to make, and I have no direct say in their
corporate policies.

So what am I to do when TLC does something I don't like?   Quit the hobby??  Not likely.  Have lively discussions regarding these issues with friends??  Absolutely!!  (and yes, maybe even shake my fist at the general direction of Denmark!!! :) )

So here's a question, what would it take for you to quit the hobby?

I've been around AFOL's for a very long time.  This hobby means something
different to many of us, but the one thing we should be able to get together on
is that we actually appreciate the hobby, or why be here at all?

i love the hobby (for many reasons as detailed elsewhere).  I appreciate the
company that produces bricks I use for my hobby.  I really do.  I try not to be
all 'they're all that and a bag of cheet-o's', but on the flip side, I'm not all
'they suck dead bears!!!!' every time they do something i don't like.

Discuss!  Yip!!  Scream if needed!!!  This decision really does suck for the
North American AFOL.  It really does.  And there are numerous reasons for
that--now some LUGs are 'more equal' than others, depending on which side of the
pond you're on.

So really, this is worthy of discussion/rallying/letter writing campaigns.   Write to your ambassadors!  Write to the head office!!  Do it if you are so moved!!  talk amongst your LUG!  Maybe we can get toether and come up with something!  I'm in full support of these things, and actively encourage them!  However, if TLC doesn't take 'our advice' and change, what then?  this is the troubling point of contention.

ANyway, again, a bunch of paragraphs too long.  I really need a good copy
editor.

Dave K