 General / 55947
Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:48:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
For the most part, I think you're spot on-- although I don't foresee a huge
outcry from fans regarding a change in support for LUGs and events.  The color
change and 9v really affected everyone as customers, versus this which is (as I
understand it) more-or-less just the level of perks that we'll be getting. So
hopefully, if the support drops, we won't see a lot of protest from hobbyists.

I think there is one *possible* caveat which is that doing shows is actually a
requirement for participating in LUGBULK (and the Ambassador program, but meh--
that's not terribly valuable these days). If the LUGBULK program is terminated,
I could see some of the smaller LUGs not bothering to try and keep doing the
minimum 2 shows per year. LUGBULK (at least as I perceive it) is a pretty large
incentive to keep your LUG active.

DaveE

Hey you!  Long time  no talk! :)

Are we allowed to talk about LB here?  (not that many ppl read this forum
anymore ;) )

My incentives for doing shows, ever since the first show, were to a) display my
absolutely fabulous mocs (yeah, whatever...), b) interact iwth the public and
bring the LEGO hobby into a more 'mainstream' conscious and acceptance, but
moost important c) hang out with AFOL's.  I mean, really it was the Chris and
Calum show iwth RTL competitoins and the first train shows that RTL ran (as well
as my first trip to BF in 2004) that I derived so much joy from just hanging
with AFOL's.  Allan's Hobby show--the first time we displayed all sorts of MOCs
from all sorts of builders, was fantastic, and it just went on from there.

None of my involvment for any of the shows and rtl competitions (1st place 6+
times--put that in yer book!) had anything to do with getting swag from TLC.
Now getting stuff, or getting reduced pricing is awesome--don't get me
wrong--recognition for what we're bringing to the table.  But that's always been
parenthetical, at least for me.

And if the 'can't-mention-here-I-think' program discontinues, I'm still doing
shows.  As I've always stated--corporations can do whatever they want--really
they can.  I can yip and rail against their decision making process (and I
will).  However, what they do and the decisions they make  will not impact one
iota on what I do with my time and my hobbies.  Again, if TLC folded shop
tomorrow (sad :( ) would shows stop?  Nope.  So if that's the single worst
possible scenario, then any other happening coming down the pipe from TLC really
is irrelevant to what I'm doing with this hobby.

I love this hobby.  I love the ppl in this hobby.  After all I've posted here
thru the years, I actually love the LEGO company for providing me the ability to
have this hobby.  However, they owe me nothing, and, in return, I owe them
nothing.  I don't owe Tide anything when I use their stuff for laundry (bad
example for me to be sure, 'cause I worked for P&G)..

Anyway, the only thing I will do is present myself, and my shows, in the best
possible light such that no indiscretion or impropriety can be interpreted that
may reflect badly--not just on TLC, but on myself and my fellow AFOL's.  When I
read about various things thru the years that reflect badly on the hobby and on
us, I get so down.  It's not that these impact on TLC, but on us.  We're suppose
to be the Adult in the AFOL and we should strive to handle ourselves with
decorum and principles.  I know stuff happens in all communities everywhere, but
since I'm here in this community, this is where I get impacted.

Anyway, I'm rambling, again, so I'll stop now

Dave K