 General / 55899
55898  |  55900
Subject:
The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 19:40:18 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

So yeah, I'm posting in l.general...

Anyway, using my amazing powers of prognostication (1), I believe that we NA
fans o' LEGO are in for a few nasty surprises in the future with regards to our
relationship, as LUGs and organizations, with TLC.

I've heard various rumours and undercurrents that TLC may be looking at
overhauling their outreaches to fan-run events and even maybe revamping their
previous 'special' commitment to lugs (that I won't talk about 'cause, well,
whatever)

Anyway, having been around long enuf to see the proverbial sewage hit the fan
when 9v disappeared, the colour change, the discontinuation of certain lines
(and sometimes the start of otehr lines *cough* jack stone *cough*), I think I'm
on pretty safe ground that these 'rumoured' changes will cause as equal, or
probably moreso consternation from fans--'weeping and gnashing of teeth outside
the city walls', as it were...

Here's the thing--I really have to understand that there are as many types of
fans in our chosen hobby as there are fans.  i.e. everyone has their ideas and
beliefs when it comes to being an adult fan of lego.

So I am just speaking from myself here.  And I wanted to get *MY* idea out there
before the furor.

Straight up--TLC is a corporation.  It's not *our* corporation, it's *A*
corporation.  As such, even though we can speak our minds, they, as a
corporation,  will do what they want as a corporation.

Can we be upset?  They can't stop us.

Can we rally?  why not?

Can we spew venon, shake our fists at the general direction of denmark?  Sure,
if you so desire.

Boycott?? Sell your collection??  Knock yourself out.

Can we expect TLC to change their corporate decisions?  No.  And that's the rub
right there.

This is where I've always had a tough time reconciling 'the fan base' vs ' the
corporate direction'.  Did I believe the colour change and the 9v
discontinuation was dumb?  Sure.  whatever.  Did I expect them to reverse their
decisions?  Absolutely not.  It's *their* company, not mine.

I've heard from many ppl that because we do these shows, that we put on
displays, that we work at bringing the LEGO hobby into the mainstream (a la
comic/sci-fi/etc. conventions) that this makes TLC somehow beholden to us.

Do we, by doing our shows and presentations, increase the revenue of TLC?  I
think so.  There's probably metrics out there that back that up.  I mean, at
every single show, kids and parents are inspired by our displays and one of the
main questions we always get at every single presentation, besides 'how many
pieces is that?', is 'where can we buy LEGO?'  Seriously, it is.

So our shows must contribute to a positive bottom line for TLC.

However, that does not give us that entitlement to dictate decisions to the
company.

It really doesn't

We don't do our shows for the proverbial 'pat on the head' from TLC.  I don't.
None of my friends do.  We do shows because we're fans of LEGO, we love
displaying our builds, we love interacting with the public.  There's a litany of
reasons for doing shows and presentations that have absolutely nothing to do
with the manufacturer of our product beyond the fact that they produced the
medium of choice for our shows.  They made the bricks, we bought the bricks.

So ask yourselves this question--if TLC suddenly folded shop tomorrow and there
were no new LEGO sets ever produced, would you or your lug still do shows?  Of
course you would.  We all would.  It'd be different to be sure--the secondary
market would explode, but we would still do shows.  Most of us wouldn't jump
over to MB or BTR or Tyco or whatever...  We'd still build with our LEGO bricks.
I know this to be true because at some of our shows there are meccano guys,
there are guys that have long discontinued toys and stuff that they love
presenting.  They're still out there doing shows long after the manufacturer has
disappeared.

That right there is the key.  I would still be a fan of LEGO even if the company
wasn't around.  I'm a fan of the Commodore 64 and that company's been gone for
years...

Would it change?  absolutely.  Thankfully TLC is still here so we don't have to
worry about that bit.

So what I'm telling you in the final analysis is that, with whatever TLC comes
out with for us North American AFOL's, sure rant, sure rave, sure get it off
your chest.  Don't do any of that to affect change on the company, though.
Don't expect them to change *just because* of our say-so.  They don't owe us
because we don't own the company.

I'm a fan of the brick.  Have always been, will always be.  I've surrounded
myself with pretty much like minded individuals.

The good bit is that *if* TLC is getting out of directly supporting LUGS and
shows in NA (and again, I could be wrong), then these shows and LUGs truly are
ours to direct as we want.  It's a consolation, to be sure.  Having the support
of the company is nice, is a perk, is a showing from the company that they
appreciate our efforts, however, it's not necessary for us to be fans of the
brick.

I'm going to still put on shows, still attend other shows, still hang out with
AFOL's, still build...  So really, what has changed?  Is like the first
BrickFest from oh so long ago--Fan shows run by fans for the fans.  Should have
always been that way, anyway.

As a final note, seriously, if you are in a LUG or attend shows just for the
'pat on the head' from TLC, if you can't pay full freight to buy a LEGO set that
you want, if you're doing shows just for the discounted other things, then
rethink why you're in this hobby.  We're adults here.  That's the A in AFOL.
I've hung out with ppl with all sorts of different interests and hobbies, and
this is the only hobby that I can think of that, for some, comes with the
expectation that the company owes them.  Really, TLC doesn't.

Will I continue to support TLC?  Well, I'll still buy the sets I want, I'll
still do shows, and I'll still build.  None of that is predicated on TLC giving
me anything.

All this said, if TLC wants to support LUGs and shows, I'm good with that.
However, I'm not signing an NDA or changing how my show is run to conform with
whatever corporate policies they may have.  It's *their* company, but it's *our*
show.  If the corporate policy for support for my show falls in line with what's
going on at my show, then everything's good.

I've gone on long enuf.  There were other points but I think I've said enuf.

Whatever happens, know that I appreciate all of you.  I truly do.  And if you
vehemently disagree with me on any of the above, that won't change my
appreciation.

Dave K

1.  after all, I did let y'all know about a LEGO store at sherway before anyone
else believed it to be true ;)