 General / 55950
Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:49:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
So yeah, I'm posting in l.general...

[snipped lots of good stuff]

Whatever happens, know that I appreciate all of you.  I truly do.  And if you
vehemently disagree with me on any of the above, that won't change my
appreciation.

Dave K

I'm just catching up on this conversation.  I do find it interesting.  Although
I'm pretty sure I read about some of the cuts in support, I didn't really pay
them any attention.  Throughout my time as an AFOL, what the company does has
never really concerned me.  The biggest impact to me was the end of 9v, but even
then my personal collection was plenty for home, and my club had enough track to
continue doing shows for years (and we have).

Over the years I've had some not-so-great interactions with the company, but
they were the same sort of things I've run into working with any large company.
They were irritating at the time, but never to the point where they drove me out
of the hobby.  I guess they did sour me to working with the company some, but if
they approach me in the future about a project, I wouldn't turn it down
outright.

One thing that did bother me about AFOL/LEGO interactions was the NDAs.  From a
corporate standpoint I totally understand the need, but I what I saw from the
fan side was a lot of talented people sort of dropping out of sight as they got
pulled into official projects.  They stopped posting to fan sites, and some of
them seemed to have left the hobby altogether.  In reality, they were still
producing great work, they just couldn't talk about it.

What you said above though, really resonates with me. "Whatever happens, know
that I appreciate all of you."  Yep.  Same here.  It's the community that I
love.  For various reasons I haven't been building a lot in the past few years,
and I admit that I've never been that vocal in the wider community, but I've
always really enjoyed hanging out with my LUG when I can, visiting other LUGs
when I can, organizing and putting on displays, and in the past couple of years,
getting to know folks from all over the world by getting involved in RAILBRICKS.
None of these things have been driven by perks from the company.  They've all
been driven by my need to hang out with talented creative people who inspire me
in more ways than I can really count.  Some of these people have become some of
my best friends outside of the hobby, and for that, I'm thankful.

-Elroy