 General / 55899
  The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

So yeah, I'm posting in l.general... Anyway, using my amazing powers of prognostication (1), I believe that we NA fans o' LEGO are in for a few nasty surprises in the future with regards to our relationship, as LUGs and organizations, with TLC. I've (...) (11 years ago, 9-Nov-12, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Hi David, just by chance I came across your loooong article and found it very interesting to read, even if you mention North America and I live in Europe. But maybe I can comment from the distance as a person being in the community of LEGO (...) (11 years ago, 10-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> Hey Ben! No, I think you got my point pretty clearly, and your post is a good look at it as well. I love LEGO, hence I'm a fan for over 40+ years (no dark ages for me). I appreciate the company that produces LEGO. Besides (...) (11 years ago, 12-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) All speculation may end right here because we have the words straight from Kevin in my inbox... this has been cut from a very long letter explaining why and what will continue and what will not continue... "THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NO LONGER (...) (11 years ago, 15-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) (URL) JOHN (11 years ago, 16-Nov-12, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Well then, he or she will miss all the fun! (...) That. Blows for the organizers (...) I've seen fans go out the door with skids piled high at least now there's no incentive to do store runs. Go if you want. Might be better in the long run (...) (11 years ago, 16-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote: <snip> I do want to be prefectly clear regarding my comments--I have no issue with discussion. Actually, I actively encourage it! One only had to go to the archives of off-topic.debate right here on LUGNET to (...) (11 years ago, 16-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Actually, that's a good way of looking at it. LUGs are successful. All the LUGs I know are doing their thing and (most of) they are having an awesome time doing so! So there's that. (...) Same! (...) I still can't think of any better SINGLE (...) (11 years ago, 28-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Hi Dave, I agree on your thoughts.... Only some weeks ago I have been reminded, that becoming a LUGNET member ment paying a (small) lifetime membership fee (really had fogotten that fact completely). This has been definitely one reason why we (...) (11 years ago, 29-Nov-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Hey you kids!!!! GET OFFA MY LAWN! (ok, only kidding) (11 years ago, 5-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote: <snip> (...) What? strong characters here on LUGNET?? :) I think if we post more, others will post more... I don't think it'll ever reach what it was. but I also think this is still the best place for (...) (11 years ago, 5-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) You old timer!! Dave K (11 years ago, 5-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Well, for that LDraw.org has always been a niche - even here at LUGNET. Eventually we had to leave last year to get some fresh blood. The barrier to get posting privileges here had become so increasingly hight that ultimately there remained (...) (11 years ago, 5-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

I *never* visit Lugnet any more, but thought I'd pop in, and here you guys are! It's very interesting - over on the SeaLUG email list, we've been having a big discussion about all these changes, and the nature of LEGO fan-dom, fan cons, and whatnot. (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

I'd like to add a couple thoughts that occurred to me which make me somewhat unsure where I fall on the spectrum of thought here, though I think I hie closer to where David is. Firstly, as an AFOL who has never lived anywhere near a convention, it's (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Is probably why I really never wanted to be ambassador. I mean, I love the ambassadors we have, and they do a fantastic job. I wouldn't be so good or fantastic, because I really have no filter most times. Anyway, get to BF2013 and we'll hang! (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) On that I agree. If I were to make a polite suggestion for LUGNET, it would be to get the user activation/posting thing resolved. I mean, for us old-timers, this is nothing. However, for all the new 'script/php kiddies', LUGNET is terribly (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

In lugnet.general, Michael A. Joosten wrote: <snip> (...) That's a good point--if TLC's outreach to the general populace hasn't changed (and at this point I'm not sure of the status of this point), such as ComiCon or whathaveyou, then this really is (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

For the most part, I think you're spot on-- although I don't foresee a huge outcry from fans regarding a change in support for LUGs and events. The color change and 9v really affected everyone as customers, versus this which is (as I understand it) (...) (11 years ago, 6-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Hey you! Long time no talk! :) Are we allowed to talk about LB here? (not that many ppl read this forum anymore ;) ) My incentives for doing shows, ever since the first show, were to a) display my absolutely fabulous mocs (yeah, whatever...), (...) (11 years ago, 7-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) [snipped lots of good stuff] (...) I'm just catching up on this conversation. I do find it interesting. Although I'm pretty sure I read about some of the cuts in support, I didn't really pay them any attention. Throughout my time as an AFOL, (...) (11 years ago, 12-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

In lugnet.general, Elroy Davis wrote: <snip lotsa wonderful stuff> (...) Very nicely stated, Elroy! Dave K (11 years ago, 14-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Same for me, Dave. And it might end terribly, in case that I ever have to get a new PC. I am permanently logged in and this System is now 5 years old again. On none of my other machines I have full Lugnet access. If I ever suffered a HD-crash, (...) (11 years ago, 15-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Free Lugnet Now! (was: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL)

(...) That's not a terrible idea. Open up the database area to input from all members. Although I have some concerns that the existing input methods may not be terribly user-friendly. Steve (11 years ago, 17-Dec-12, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) The good bit, at least for me, is I remember my LUGNET member ID and my password, so there's that. If I forgot one of those two things (and that's not beyond the point of happening), then I'm SOL So yeah, this 'happiest place on teh internet' (...) (11 years ago, 17-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Totally Agree!!!! Like Ben, I am in fear of what will happen when I switch computers next, and it's coming soon. I know my password but just getting set up scares me. (11 years ago, 18-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Sounds like you haven't managed to change your password to something you can't remember. I still have posting rights, but I can't access my profile until one of the admins finds time to give me a new/temporary password. I wait with hope for (...) (11 years ago, 18-Dec-12, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) I recently got a new computer. All I had to do was click the login key, put in my credentials, and click the "now never forget about it" option. Easy peasy. But I happen to remember my password... Steve (11 years ago, 18-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) I will never forget mine, actually. But I still am fearful of getting set up to post (without confirmation) correctly (11 years ago, 18-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) I think many of us are not going to be happy when migrating to a new system :( (11 years ago, 18-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) I for one am glad this conversation came up - I want to get a new system just after Christmas (I want one of the quiet ones). After a lot of searching I hadn't found my PW before lunch. But, I did just now. Whew! Thinking about it now, I (...) (11 years ago, 19-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) If you use Firefox and it autosaves your LUGNet PW for you (as mine does) you can see it in your list of saved passwords. Use FEBE or something similar to back up your personal FF data and restore on the new system and all your saved PWs will (...) (11 years ago, 20-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) So in conclusion with a tragically flawed system not allowing new prospective members to join and all the older members eventually forgetting their passwords and not being able to reset them it seems LUGNET is destined to whither away and die. (...) (11 years ago, 21-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Yep. Many points for improvement (admins are presumably working on it), but I know of no direct replacement out there. I've been to most of the major LEGO discussion groups out there and none of them have the same functionality/versatility and (...) (11 years ago, 21-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Neither do I, but for example the discussion groups at Embarcadero (current owners of the former Borland Delphi programming tool) are AFAIK using a standard product, and are usable both on the web and via nntp. (URL) which means I see all the (...) (11 years ago, 21-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) "Wither" I think? Whither LUGNet??? Oh, it withered. But ya, it's been a very long time... we were all younger then. (11 years ago, 22-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)

  Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL

(...) Withered, but not dead yet! (not if we have anything to say about it!!) I'm feeling better--think i'll go for a walk!! (...) Whither--every time I see that word it reminds me of one thing--the final chapter of 'Making of Star Trek'--published (...) (11 years ago, 28-Dec-12, to lugnet.general)