 General / 55901
Re: The LEGO Company and the North American AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:39:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
So yeah, I'm posting in l.general...

Hi David,

just by chance I came across your loooong article and found it very interesting
to read, even if you mention North America and I live in Europe.

<snip>

Leg Godt

Ben

<snip>

Hey Ben!

No, I think you got my point pretty clearly, and your post is a good look at it
as well.

I love LEGO, hence I'm a fan for over 40+ years (no dark ages for me).  I
appreciate the company that produces LEGO.  Besides one run-in with the legal
department back in the '80's, my dealings with the LEGO company have been great.
I 'hung out' with Jake at BF 2004, and Kevin at BrickFete 2012, and other ppl
working for the company over the years and all meetings/discussions/etc have
been utterly fantastic.  The LEGO company has supported my LUG over the years
with various 'whatevers' and they have been very good lately at bringing fans in
for various things--the NXT stuff, the ambassadors, the video game, etc.
Utterly fantastic outreach to the fan community.  Love it.

But, and here's where I want to be perfectly clear, these outreaches were
determined by TLC.  These were fantastic for the fan community, but, bottom
line, they were business decisions.  Some can discuss the positive influences
these business decisions had on the community, and how that correlates with a
better financial bottom line--and I would agree--but that's not what my point
is.

My point is, as a fan, I didn't expect these outreaches (though, as stated,
great that they happened), and my appreciation for LEGO isn't diminished had
these outreaches not occurred.  And my appreciation for LEGO won't be diminished
if some of these business outreaches are terminated by the company.  It's their
company, it's their decision.  What if they cancelled ambassadors tomorrow?
Would I care?  Would it change my appreciation??  Nope.  Not one bit.

As a fan, I have the right to yip about their decision making process.  Heck, I
still am angry at FOX for cancelling Firefly and NBC for cnacelling Star Trek.
However, like NBC and FOX, TLC is not under any obligation to listen to me, no
matter how much direct or indirect support I have given them through the years.

Because this is the argument I've heard from some-'TLC owes us fans because of
what we've done for them through the years with our shows/displays/fandom/buying
lots of LEGO.  They must listen to us!!!'

That's the part that so rubs me the wrong way.  We, as fans, cannot dictate
TLC's company policy.  We can ask, we can scream, we can shake our fists at the
general direction of TLC, but we can't change their corporate policy--Only they
can.

Moreover, if ppl are so pissed at the company because they, the fans, aren't
getting 'something' from TLC (beyond the provided medium of bricks). then my
belief is that these fans really have to start reassessing their fandom, and
really start considering the fine line between fan and obsession (and that's a
whole other arguement)

If someone wants to make the argument that 'hey, those in europe are getting
preferential treatment', that's a valid argument, but again, it's TLC's decision
to make.  The only decision we, as fans, have after TLC's decisions is 'what do
we, as fans, do now?'.  For myself, since my fandom is not based on what TLC is
doing for me, my appreciation will not stop.  I will still do shows, I will
still buy sets, I will still post to LEGO Users Group NETwork.  I will, as well,
still support the fans in the way I can, such as running shows and such, and
loving rtl dinners, try to attend more conventions per year, etc.

Speaking of shows/displays, this is where it gets interesting.  As a
corporation, if a club is looking for TLC support, TLC should have the ability
to, well, impose restrictions.  Hypothetically (not that this ever happened), if
someone shows up with a Nazi concentration camp that's done up like a line of
LEGO products, I would imagine TLC doesn't want it to look like they're
supporting or sponsoring this type of display, therefore this type of display
might not be declared fit for public consumption at that particular show.

If your show is autonomous from TLC, then these display decisions are left to
the organizers of the show, and NOT from an external company.  I run shows.
Several, in fact.  Myself, along with the LUGs in the area, put on fantastic
displays.  We did it before LEGO started its outreach to the fan communities,
and we'll continue to do so if TLC stops ouytreach programs.  I, and my firends,
have never been in this because of what we might get from TLC.  We do it for the
love of the show--displaying and talking to the public, and just having a fun
time.

I love TLC.  I've toured the factory in Stratford, Ontario (in the day) and it
was mecca.  Seriously, I saw LEGO being made!  That memory, after 20+ years, is
as clear to me today as anything else.  To date, it really was a highlight of my
fandom--they invited me! (and this is pre-internet--the fact that they heard of
me and liked my stuff enuf to reach out to me...).

I love that, during my lifetime, TLC has grown and changed so that every stage
of my life they've offered very interesting sets/pieces/etc that 'clicked' into
where I was in my life (there's a LEGO analogy).

I love the friends I've made through the years because of my love of LEGO.
Again, seriously, there is no better group of ppl in any fandom than the ones I
met through my love of LEGO.  They inspire me to do better, to be better.  I'm
not happy right now that there are two 'competing' LUGs in Toronto that don't
seem to communicate very well with each other, but I'm probably part of the
problem there so I might have to look at doing something about it... but that's
another story.

I just get so pissed at ppl who are all like, 'the company isn't giving me what I need to continue my fandom!! I'm taking my ball and going home!!'  To me, it's like, 'really??  Really??  that's what you're going with here???'   That verges on obsession, and it's unhealthy.  If you put all your proverbial eggs in TLC basket and something happens that you don't like, well, there goes the basket.

Bottom line--TLC will make corporate decisions that they believe are best for
them and their product.  We, as fans, can have our say, but we can't have the
expectation that TLC will implement 'our say'.  Beyond that, what's left to be
said ;)

Anyway, I've gone on long enuf (again!)

Dave K