 General / 40500
Re: TECHNIC IS NOT DEAD!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:27:11 GMT

Hello all,

After reading all the threads of the original message, I would like to
contribute my 2 cents, (before I’ll gladly give them, along with few hundred
dollars more to Lego).

8454 – Funny how the more ugly set got more responds than the other one.
However, this pile of liftarms has more than meets the eye:

1. The knob closer to the front seems to have double action: It is not
steering like the one behind it, but is connected to some kind of liftarm,
enabling it to work as a four-direction joystick.
2. The thing between the green liftarm and the black panel at the back is
the regular engine; I guess it is connected to the non-steering wheels.
3. The blue hose between the wheels is connected to the red “thing” close to it.
4. Nothing seems to open on the body – no doors of any kind, so there is
something else that is hiding there.
5. There are two dark gray handles next to the steering knob, that has to
control something like...
6. ...(did someone say) a water gun! Could this be the first hydro-lego set,
or is it just my imagination?

Yes, it is ugly, yes I would have a few.

8455 – What a magnificent way to say: “We want to fix our stupid mistake
from 15 years ago!”. The original 8862 Backhoe was supposed to be looking
like this. I guess the 8868 Airtech was already defined, and Lego didn’t
want the 8862 to be more superior in this sense.

The lack of airtank or compressor just mean that we have to work harder to
operate it – will anyone refuse to buy it because of this? Will anyone
resist the temptation to add an airtank AND a compressor to this set? (Don’t
forget a differential and 6 cylinders engine…).

Well, I also cannot find more words to say about it. I think that the price
of this set will be similar to the price of just the pneumatic system on any
BrickLink store... If so, it would be a great buy.

These two sets define the only way that the Technic theme can go by: More.
More wheels (8454), more pneumatics (8455). Lego had covered almost all the
mechanical features in the past, now things can get only bigger. However,
there are three types of vehicles that Lego didn’t produce in the past, and
will probably introduce in the next couple of years:

1. Large truck with many wheels. A successor for the 8868 and 8479. That’s
what the 8454 is for.
2. Family car. The legendary 853 was the only large scale family car, not
supercar. Unlike the real life, for Lego, supercars are easier to design
than family cars, because of the engine location (a problem that was solved
only in 1999 with the 8448), the doors (the only door that Lego know how to
design is gullwing door) and the size of it (based on the 8448, a Lego
family car would probably be ~60cm long, with more than 1500 pieces).
3. Minivan. Probably the most important type of car in the past 20 years. To
build it, Lego need to rotate the engine, add many sliding, lifting, moving
doors and many flexible seats. Such a set would have ~1500 pieces as well,
or even more than that.

Finally, two personal points, which I would like to add here: First, for
about two month I have a huge (75cm), 8 wheels chassis sitting on my Lego
shelves, waiting to be the next ultimate Airtech-something. Now Lego has
it’s own first 8 wheeler. Mine, by the way, is a twin-steer chassis, with
all wheels drive (7 differentials!) and independent suspensions. Did I
mentions that is has the 8466 wheels?
Second, I’ve already started collecting parts for my version of
all-pneumatics Backhoe... Nice to find out that Lego is doing what I’m
expecting it to do. Now I’m waiting for the family car and minivan. In the
meanwhile I’ll have a few of those 8454 and 8455.

Enjoy,

Avi Parvin

In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Check out this backhoe with 9(!!) pneumatic cylinders:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8455

Or this 8-wheeled fire truck with 6 steering wheels:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8454

And there are more technic sets:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/lego.cfm?StartRow=70

Duq