 General / 40455

Subject:
TECHNIC IS NOT DEAD!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:49:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Check out this backhoe with 9(!!) pneumatic cylinders:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8455

Or this 8-wheeled fire truck with 6 steering wheels:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8454

And there are more technic sets:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/lego.cfm?StartRow=70

Duq

Re: TECHNIC IS NOT DEAD!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:51:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Check out this backhoe with 9(!!) pneumatic cylinders:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8455

This is brilliant design work.

This is what I think of when I think of LEGO Technic models.  This has a
very realistic look to it.  Very well done!

Someone once asked me why I felt so strongly that the Jack Stone series was
a bad move for the company.  I told them that, "it just doesn't *feel* like
LEGO sets when I look at it."  This backhoe model is exactly the opposite.
This *feels* like a LEGO model.  I realize we're talking juniorized sets vs.
Technic sets, but the principle is the same if you ask me.  LEGO sets are
golden when they feel the way you think LEGO sets should... whether new or
old designs, and whether consisting of 10 Duplo pieces or 1000 Technic parts.

This speaks volumes about the ability of the LEGO company to produce solid,
well-designed, realistic Technic models... in awesome and consistent color
schemes.  This model should be held up as a standard for the type of quality
work of which the company has always been capable.  Bravo and pats on the
back to anyone involved in the planning and design of this set.  You've
earned your pay and then some!

Or this 8-wheeled fire truck with 6 steering wheels:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8454

This is a disaster.

Frankly, I don't even see a fire truck in that picture.  If you removed the
label and asked people to identify it, I'll bet you wouldn't get 'fire
truck' as your first answer more than 1/2 the time.

What I can't understand is how the company can release the backhoe (which is
a reasonably accurate scale representation of a real vehicle) and also
release that "fire truck" which looks like a VW van that got thrown into a
blender along with a can of Seven Up.  Were these done by two different
design teams?  Was one an outsourced design, while the other was done
in-house?  Something is different between these two models... the connection
to reality is completely dissimilar.

Can anyone offer insights/thoughts on this?

I know there are a bunch of fire apparatus and rescue vehicle LEGO fans out
there.  What do you folks think of this?  Could this have been done differently?

Happy, confused and frustrated... all at the same time,
Allan B.

Re: TECHNIC IS NOT DEAD!!!