 General / 40472
Re: TECHNIC IS NOT DEAD!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:31:51 GMT

"Allan Bedford" <ExpertBuilder-DELETE-TO-REPLY@apotome.com> wrote in message
news:H87rMF.3Ay@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Check out this backhoe with 9(!!) pneumatic cylinders:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8455

This is brilliant design work.

This is what I think of when I think of LEGO Technic models.  This has a
very realistic look to it.  Very well done!

I totaly agree. I take 3 of that one, please!  :)

Can anyone see if there is a pnaumatic tank in there some place?  I dont
have one yet...

Someone once asked me why I felt so strongly that the Jack Stone series • was
a bad move for the company.  I told them that, "it just doesn't *feel* • like
LEGO sets when I look at it."  This backhoe model is exactly the opposite.
This *feels* like a LEGO model.  I realize we're talking juniorized sets • vs.
Technic sets, but the principle is the same if you ask me.  LEGO sets are
golden when they feel the way you think LEGO sets should... whether new or
old designs, and whether consisting of 10 Duplo pieces or 1000 Technic • parts.

This speaks volumes about the ability of the LEGO company to produce • solid,
well-designed, realistic Technic models... in awesome and consistent color
schemes.  This model should be held up as a standard for the type of • quality
work of which the company has always been capable.  Bravo and pats on the
back to anyone involved in the planning and design of this set.  You've
earned your pay and then some!

I agree with you here also. The backhoe model is what we can say is the
heart of "real" Lego; all bricks that this model is made of can be used in
almost infinitve number of ways. And with some fantasy and skill you can
even get it to look like an airplaine using the same parts. You cant say
that about every sets from Lego today...

http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8316
This one does not look like Lego at all. If it wasn't for the LEGO letters
in the name I would not have thought of this as a Lego set at all. I hope it
is not a big investment from the Lego Group company....
And I sorry to say that I will hope Lego stop that Bionicle line. I hate
that stuff, that is not what I can define as Lego at all, its more like
Playmobile stuff.

Or this 8-wheeled fire truck with 6 steering wheels:
http://www.marzdistribution.com/insideMarz/moreinfo.cfm?ID=LEGO-8454

This is a disaster.
Frankly, I don't even see a fire truck in that picture.  If you removed • the
label and asked people to identify it, I'll bet you wouldn't get 'fire
truck' as your first answer more than 1/2 the time.

Well, not a disaster. Airport firetrucks (some one mentioned crash trucks,
is that the same thing?) does not always looks pretty. They dont need to,
they only need to go fast over all terrain and be efficient.  :)

But the backhoe model was the best of all Techninc sets that I could see on
that site.
Have my own Tracktor model here:
It does not look so nice, or even at scale because the form of a Tracktor
only came after some try&fail with that steering consept.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix