 General / 39483
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:46:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:

To take the 5 0's / 5 100's a little further, how about only including
ratings in the calculation for those people who actually own the set...that
way those who don't rate it are considering it a pass-able set, those who do
rate it either own it and so they have a credible opinion of the set, or
don't own it, and so can't really rate it (after all, how do you rate a set
which you haven't personally built, and so had a chance to consider the
'functions' of the set and/or the parts used and how they are used.) [by all
means let everyone rate them, but only consider ratings from owners of the set.]

That is just silly, I have built a 10022 by myself but I do not own the set
(I was at a friend's place). I know what it looks like, how it is
constructed, the pieces used, etc... I can make an educated decision about
it. Also, what you propose is forcing us to say if we own a set or not. Fine
then, if I want to give my opinion and have it count, I can lie and say I
own every set.

To add to this, you could also require the average rating by a person over
all sets they have to have to be within a certain range. You're giving your
opinion of a set against something, after all. Alternatively, calculate for
the user what their average rating for all sets is, and then downgrade the
weighting of their ratings accordingly.
ie. if all sets are rated at 100%, then they're considering all the sets to
have equal value, so downgrade to an equivalent 50% in calculations, or if
half are 100% and others unranked, then downgrade to 75% and 25%

This I disagree with this because I do not have a tendency to buy and rate
sets that in my opinion merit 10% or less (Galidor for example), but I would
buy a Galaxy Explorer, Alpha 1 Rocket Base, Deep Freeze Defender, etc... if
they came at the right price (all of which get a 100% from me).

Anyway, just my 2 cents,

Benjamin Whytcross

That is my two pennies,

Jude