 General / 39432
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:16:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
Dave Johann wrote in message ...
I couldn't agree more, Ken! My addition to that question would be: why >do
people rate a set they don't own? If you don't own it, then your rating
shouldn't count towards the member rating average because you have >no idea
what you are truly reviewing.

People don't necessarily enter the sets they own on LUGNET - I don't - >so
the two things, marking a set as owned and rating it, are really quite
separate.

Kevin
NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! >http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-cott.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: >http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com
Personal Lego Web page:

This brings up a whole new issue: what criteria is used in rating a set?
Personally, I wouldn't think of rating a set I don't own/haven't previously
owned simply because I don't know how much fun that set was to build, what
parts are in that set, overall play value, etc. This is what I thought the
ratings system was for rather than the 'trash the new sets because they
don't live up to the older standards' which seems to be what the ratings
system has devolved into.

Quite honestly, I find the comments (People who wrote notes about this set)
much more informative than the overall ratings. Helpful hints, hidden parts,
clearance prices and such can be found in this area.

-Dave