 General / 39437
Re: Why sets receive a ZERO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:24:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Ken Godawa writes:
I'm curious on why so many of the popular sets receive a "zero" rating.

As well... what would your solution to this problem be?  Would you like to
see the zero rating removed?  Should every set, no matter how good or bad,
get a minimum 10 rating?

I would say probably not... some sets really ARE duds.

Or, like in some judged sports, should we remove
the highest and the lowest rating in order to better average out the
remaining votes?

That's not a bad idea. It works for Figure Skating (and we know how fair and
impartial THAT sport is!) Grin.... No seriously, it IS a good idea.

I would say this, though.... how abou this... (and it may be overengineering
the solution.) My supposition is that someone has went through and given a
lot of sets as 0. In fact wasn't there a case early in ratings where it was
known that someone went through and rated every single Pirate set with 0?

Maybe there should be a requirement that in order to be allowed to rate sets
you need to rate some sets good as well as some bad? Require that your
average rating across all sets you rated is at least 10 and no less than 90?
That is, no going and rating EVERYTHING a 0 or EVERYTHING a 100. This will
encourage people to put some thought into what they like and dislike. You
get 5 0s (or 5 100s) and then you have to go find something you like (or
dislike, as the case may be) or else no more ratings are accepted until your
average is within range.

Just *slightly* overengineered.  :)

To implement the drop high and low rating idea, it might look something like
this:

averageRating = ((sumOfAllRatings - lowestRating) - highestRating) /
(totalNumberOfVotes - 2)

I think.  :)

Seriously, if you think every single set LEGO ever made is worth only 0,
what are you doing here at LUGNET? I know Allan and I have different
opinions

Perhaps not as much now as we did at one time.  I have really tried to focus
on the good things about LEGO, as I know I was guilty of not doing that in
the past.  Generally, I've tried to stay out of discussions like this for
the last few months.  But I saw in this thread the potential to help sort
out something that was clearly bothering another user.

<ANGEL MODE OFF>    ;)

but we both can find sets we'd rate higher than 0, and sets we'd
rate lower than 100... I am sure of it.

Which is why I can think of perhaps only one or two sets I might ever rate
with a zero.  And they are part of a series that rhymes with Black Throne.  :)

But seriously, I do try to find at least *some* good in any set I'm about to
rate.  I personally think more sets fall into the 40 - 60 range than some of
us might like to admit.

Probably not really a good idea but maybe it will get people thinking?
(deciding it's not really a major problem is an OK outcome)

Yes, I think the discussion of this issue is more important than effecting a
solution.  From the evidence given, I don't think any sets are really
'hurting' from the zero ratings, but it obviously bothered Ken enough to
start this thread.  I think getting everyone's opinion is just as critical
as fixing something that may not be that broken.

All the best,
Allan B.